Windows Update Incredibly Slow

villemattias

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I bought a new, high performance gaming pc about 1 week ago, and it's been working fine. It has installed an update or two without problems already, but yesterday when I went to sleep I chose the option to install updates then turn off the computer. When I boot the PC up again this morning, I get to the screen where it says "working on updates" (I use windows in Swedish so I don't know if it's the correct translation). It took 1 hour to get to 8%, but more worryingly, it has taken an additional 4 hours to get to only 15%, so it isn't speeding up. Even my old, crappy laptop could install windows updates alot quicker, and it was filled with big, old and unused files and programs. The OS is installed on a HDD. I fear that my harddrive is damaged. My internet connection is mediocre, and shouldn't be a problem. Is there a reason for the time it's taking, what could be wrong? :/

Solution
If the update is in the downloading updates phase, your internet could be at issue.
Some providers will slow you down if they detect excessive activity.

If you are in the installing updates phase, then at least you are moving along.
Yes, there could be an issue with your hard drive. At the very least, a hard drive will take very much longer than a ssd.

I might suggest you consider migrating your C drive to a ssd.
Samsung has a free ssd migration app that will do the job.
When done, run the vendor specific hard drive diagnostic program to verify proper operation.
If ok, use the hard drive for bulk sequential storage.
If the update is in the downloading updates phase, your internet could be at issue.
Some providers will slow you down if they detect excessive activity.

If you are in the installing updates phase, then at least you are moving along.
Yes, there could be an issue with your hard drive. At the very least, a hard drive will take very much longer than a ssd.

I might suggest you consider migrating your C drive to a ssd.
Samsung has a free ssd migration app that will do the job.
When done, run the vendor specific hard drive diagnostic program to verify proper operation.
If ok, use the hard drive for bulk sequential storage.

Solution