Can't access or move rich text document!

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I regretfully locked (yellow lockpad emblem on file) or encrypted the contents of a rich text document file using the default option in the file properties then I moved it from my win8 system to my new win10 without remembering to undo this feature. Now no matter what I do I cannot access or move it.

I've tried the TakeOwnershipEx app and the "Take Ownership" option in the right-click context menu. When I try to open the file it states:

Access to *filepath* was denied.

I'm beginning to think this is less about granting ownership and more about the fact I used the "encrypt contents to secure data" EFS windows feature.

What can I do to regain access?

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Realizing I didn't backup the certificate so i'm using Advanced EFS Data Recovery to help. Stupid mistake but windows doesn't automatically prompt one to backup the key either making the option seem harmless.

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
So it found the correct keys but the username and password i'm using which is correct is not decrypting the key. I am unable to even move the file and save the recovered keys to attempt recovery later. Worst implementation of file encryption ever.