Which RAM should I buy?

Alphons

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hello everyone.

I've got some corrupted RAM, and looking to buy some new.

setup:
-ASRock Fatal1ty 970 performance

-AMD FX-9590 (please no comments about how much better and cooler the 8300 series is :p I know this and bought the 9590 without thinking properly.. yea.. And I have cooling enough for it, dont worry)

-MSI GTX 970

-Corsair CX750W PSU

I need quite the amount, as I like to run servers (especially bulky modded minecraft).
I have been looking a bit at the corsair 1600Mhz vengeance series, and would like to know if that would work with my setup.
Any other suggestions will be held in high regard aswell :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The memory is not going to matter that chip will fry that board it is not designed for a 220 watt processors and never should of been added to the support list.
The memory you have listed will work or get faster 1866 if you wish.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't jump in and tell you the 8300 series is "better", but certainly is "cooler" in terms of temps.

The 9590 is a horrible CPU and almost impossible to run stabily. The Fatal1ty board 'supports' the 9590 in theory only. ASRock list it as compatible, but AMD do not acknowledge it. It's just a poor pairing.

What makes you think you have corrupted RAM? I wouldn't be surprised that what you're determining to be corrupted RAM is actually just instability from the CPU/board pairing.

The 9590 paired with a CX750 is a pretty poor option too. The PSU is not the best, and not the most reliable for such a power-hungry chip.

The officially supported boards for the 9000 series, as per AMD are:
Asrock 970 Performance
ASRock 990FX Extreme9
ASRock 990FX Extreme6
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0\5.0
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

Alphons

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
To be honest I had my troubles with high temps, but sorted it out with added cooling and the H110i.

I've run my system with no real troubles for about 10 months, untill recently where I started to get blue screens and started to get unexpected crashes in java runtime.

I tried switching the RAM for my second machine and poof no more java crash, and havent seen another blue screen.

EDIT: And my other machine started to have the same java crash, with the switched RAM

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not so much the temps with the 9590, it's a combination of temps (requiring a high end cooler, AIO liquid preferred) and the power delivery. You've addressed one, but I'd be very surprised with that board+PSU if you're not experiencing the other.

Anyway, if it truly is your RAM, the board supports DDR3 up to 2400MHz (OC'd), so yes, 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance (DDR3) will work.

Alphons

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I understand there is a lot of "hate" channeled in the 9590's direction, and with good reasons.

should I just give up on the 9590 and go with a 8350?
I am no computer guru, and to be fairly honest I kind of got charmed by the specs from the 9590.

also if I switch my chip, would my system be more healthy and last longer, regarding the PSU?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 9590 is hated for good reason. It was a very poor release from AMD, hoping to 'wow' people with it's speed - and it worked on a lot of people, then the problems became evident.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum advocating for the chip due to it's instability.

It's hard to say. While the 8350 would be more stable, investing in any AMD CPU/platform as dated as they are is tough. Another $150 or so for an 8350 seems like a waste of money to me.

If I were you, I'd try to hold off a little longer (sounds like yours is relatively stable, if the problem is your RAM) and see what AMD's Ryzen offers in Q1 2017. Failing that, a switch to Intel would be recommended over an older AMD chip - especially for gaming.

Either of those require a new motherboard, CPU & RAM though..... so either way, it's going to be a costly change.

Alphons

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I'll take your advice and just go with a couple of RAM sticks for now, and then see what 2017 brings :)

Thank you very much for your time!