BSOD loop hell

dimmi1

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I keep getting the following BSOD:

"driver verifier detected violation
ahcache.sys"

When I try to go to safe mode the password screen come up but the keyboard and mouse don't work. (they are powered up just no response). I tried scannow and it didn't find any problems. I have a recovery disk but the repair fails.

I have also disabled driver verifier with no effect.

Any help is appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Application Compatibility Cache

As background, the Application Compatibility Cache is used by the Windows operating system to help identify application compatibility issues with the goal of trying to resolve them, so legacy applications can run on the newer version of the operating system. A search through the registry will show this data is spread across a number of hives, including the user, system and software hives. The Windows operating system looks at the combination of data collected, and/or set by the user, to determine which applications require shims to be used for compatibility purposes.
https://tzworks.net/prototype_page.php?proto_id=29

Does it happen at start up?
if you can get to desktop, try:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its finished, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC scans system files, DISM fixes the files SFC uses to scan files, so if SFC failed first time, try after dism & restart PC

If you can't get into PC, are you using a win 10 installer to get to advanced start up? If not, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt & try to run SFC & DISM (the spacing in dism needs to match what I typed or it won't run)

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might need to do a reset As without keyboard access in safe mode its hard to do anything else.

It will mean you need to reinstall all the programs but you get a choice, save files & settings (Files only matches library folders like Music, documents, videos, etc. Settings = logins, desktop, etc) or wipe it all. It only effects the C partition.

before you do, you can use this to copy anything off C drive you want to save that isn't in a library (might help to copy libraries anyway, in case reset goes badly): http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

using recovery disc, go to troubleshoot, Reset this PC. Choose save files and settings, and PC will restart and reinstall win 10

dimmi1

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
As a last resort I am running a bunch of malware/virus detection programs before I do I reset. Luckily I have a 2T backup drive laying around.

Awwskiskiski

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

What did you find? I got this error and now my pc won't boot past the motherboard screen.