Will I see a difference if I upgrade the mobo and cpu?

Martin_132

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi all,
I did a quick search but couldn't find a great deal of info, mostly upgrading GPU's. I originally built this system back in 2013 but have upgraded various parts along the way, SSD, new GPU etc. Anyway I am thinking of switching to Windows 10 but my mobo does not support it so it has been the catalyst for thinking I should probably look at upgrading the mobo and cpu to an intel i5 series 7.
1. Would I see much difference in performance through gaming or streaming videos or should I just view it as future proofing?
2. No concerns regarding power supply as it's 750w but I guess I would also need to upgrade the memory modules and do a full format and re-install?
3. Any recommendations for mobo and cpu's. I don't currently overclock but I would probably go with a K suffix anyway and re-use my current heatsink.
Thanks in advance.
Martin
Current spec
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 45 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V PRO (LGA1155) 28 °C
Graphics
BenQ GW2760HSy (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA) 27 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G ATA Device (SSD)

1.) You might notice some difference between CPU, MoBo, and RAM, but...you probably won't.... it depends. The differences aren't so great as that you may perceive them... So looking at it as "future proofing" may be the way to view it.

2.) No issues reusing the power supply IF you make sure to turn of the new CPU power saving modes introduced with Haswell. Otherwise, you'll need to upgrade that too.

3.) You should be able to reuse your old cooler without issues when going with Skylake. Just don't tighten down too much as the CPUs are thinner. For just gaming, I'd stick with an i5-6600k and a Z170 chipset motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI. If you want to future proof it, make sure the MoBo will support an M.2 or U.2 NVMe SSD and Thunderbolt 3. I believe the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming fits that description.