New Motherboard can't see OS (not a boot order issue)

MichaelLC

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Hello!

I am having the issue with the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or..." error.

I just replaced my motherboard, CPU, memory, and graphics card. I used to have my SSD, two back up internal hard disks, and one external backup hard disk. When I rebuilt the computer, I kept only the SSD to keep it simple at first. If it matters, one of the old hard drives had an old version of windows installed, so when I would boot up my old computer, it would ask between the drives. But with the new computer, it only has the SSD, graphics card, keyboard at the moment.

Anyway, now that I've rebuilt it, I can't get rid of this error. I can see the SSD in the UEFI. I have to manually set it to an SSD and not a hard disk drive. It doesn't make a difference though. I read some stuff online about Legacy Boot and CSM settings. Here are the settings I have in my UEFI:

CSM: Enabled
Launch PXE OpROM Policy: Legacy only
Launch Storage OpROM Policy: Legacy only
Launch Video OpROM Policy: Legacy only

I can't find anything that talks about Legacy Boot. The only other thing I can find in the UEFI that talks about Legacy is under USB Configuration:

Legacy USB Support: Enabled
PS/2 Simulator: Disabled
XHCI Hand-off: Disabled

I've tried playing around with all these settings, and nothing seems to allow the computer to recognize my operating system. I also tried removing the CMOS battery and then retrying. The OS is still unrecognized.

Unfortunately, my new motherboard does not have an IDE connection for my optical drive, so I can't use Windows repair disks. I do have an IDE to SATA adapter, but the UEFI doesn't see it. I didn't think to make a USB version before removing the old system. I have access to my work laptop, to move files via copy and paste to a USB, but I cannot run the Microsoft utility that allows a repair disk creation, because my work security features prevent it.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I am ok with reinstalling Windows. Nothing is on my SSD that's irreplacable. However, I would like some assurance that reinstalling will actually fix the issue.

Should I just take the computer to a computer shop? Is there some settings I could try that might work? Should I try reinstalling first (I imagine I'll just buy Windows again)?

What would cause the UEFI not to see the OS?

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4
CPU: Intel core i5-6600K LGA1151
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon RX480
RAM: Corsair 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz installed in slot 2 and 4
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250GB

Thanks!
Michael

Solution
Since the mobo supports UEFI, CSM should be disabled. And you should use UEFI / secureboot, and AHCI

No point getting a mobo that supports UEFI if you dont use its features.

And if you took the hdds out of something else did you do a clean install?? If you didnt you should

I would buy a SATA dvd burner / whatever. IDE is old as the hills.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Sounds like maybe it's trying to boot from CD/DVD or USB flash drive first.
Make sure your boot priority is set to your SSD.

You can also buy/borrow and external optical drive.

Do you have the Windows USB ISO? That will work the same as the repair disk.

I would definitely think reinstalling Windows again would solve the issue if your boot order is set to not boot to DVD/CD USB flash drive.

Heck if you have the licence key still I'd mail you a Windows 10 ISO.

Check your boot priority see if thats the issue.

Also triple check all your cables are connected to everything good. Especially to your SSD.

Did you try enabling UEFI instead of Legacy?

MichaelLC

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks, corb345, for the quick reply. I actually do not have the CD/DVD hooked up. I wanted to make sure that wasn't interfering. I have made sure that the SSD is the first boot disk, and there's nothing else to make second, etc.

I've checked the cables. They seem to be fine. UEFI has an option to email them issues, and in that, you can attach a file. If I do that, I can browse my SSD, so the system is definitely seeing it as a storage and can see individual files. It's just not recognizing it as a boot drive.

If I enable Legacy (which on mine, I think is disabling CMS), then I cannot choose any drives at all for boot priority. UEFI sees the drive, but I can't select it.

I have no clue where the Windows key is. That's partly why I'm trying to make this work so badly, hehe. If reinstalling it would be best, then I'll just buy a new copy. Is it possible to buy it online and download the installation to a USB? I haven't bought it since 2010.

Reinstalling actually might be a good idea now anyway. The system is completely changed, so I'll probably have to buy another licence of Windows anyway. A fresh install might also avoid any odd issues with old settings etc. It might be rather cathartic. I'll wait for another person to second that notion, and then get to it in the New Year.

Cheers!

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
I was thinking maybe you didnt need to buy Windows again because of digital entitlement. But
you said you replaced the motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU. That being the case you'll need to buy another licence key any ways because Windows 10 is now tied to different parts of hardware via digital entitlement, creating a hash of it, and then submits that ID to MS activation servers that check the hash in their data base. If the ID is found. MS reports that back to Windows which marks itself as active.
And with you changing so many components I'm sure the hash is no longer good. And that key would be tied to that hash. (Make since) Just my opinion and understanding.

And maybe thats the issue, you changed motherboards and it not reading it the way it's suppose to be. In fact the more research I'm doing on it most things are telling me your going to have issues with booting up due to the CMOS RAM that contains the information that your BIOS start up system uses when it boots up. It needs enough of the code to initialize it.
Unless you reinstall the OS with a new key.

I bet thats your issue!

And yes you can buy it on line, get the key and download the ISO from this link and it gives you the option to create the ISO on an USB. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Since the mobo supports UEFI, CSM should be disabled. And you should use UEFI / secureboot, and AHCI

No point getting a mobo that supports UEFI if you dont use its features.

And if you took the hdds out of something else did you do a clean install?? If you didnt you should

I would buy a SATA dvd burner / whatever. IDE is old as the hills.

Solution

MichaelLC

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks, Paul. I will try a clean install with CSM disabled. Thanks for the suggestion!

TRENDING THREADS