Getting shocked by PC case, not sure if its power supply or grounding problem

SimplyClueless

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
So built my pc around 4 months ago, having a holiday around new years, i decided to do something about the shocks i'm getting from the case. Currently, I'm using a Corsair RM750i gold certified, reputable company, so I thought it should be good.
So from what i read up, there are probably two main causes for the shocks. The first is that there is something wrong with my power supply, or secondly, my outlet is not grounded. Personally i'm more worried about the grounding scenario as i live in a third world nation (Indonesia).
Here are a few things i'm considering to do:
- Buy a new power supply
- Thinking of just attaching a separate wire linked to the power supply and attaching it to nail on the ground. (that how grounding works right?)
- Call an electrician... the same people who didn't bother to check if my house was grounded or not. Plus would an Indonesian electrician be qualified to solve a solution like this

Alternative solutions are welcome and help would be greatly appreciated.

bailojustin

Distinguished
Call an electrician, that is NOT how grounding works. if by nail you mean 8 food grounding rod 6ft below soil.

You need to have a ground installed on your outlet, if your house uses a cold water metal pipe system for plumping then it may be connected to the city and that will make installing grounds more convenient.

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
#1 Make sure your outlet is grounded - contact an electrician for this, hopefully someone reputable that will check your home wiring and ensure you have a proper ground
#2 This happens any time you touch the case? Are you touching anything else at that time as well? If you have two devices that need power, and both are connected to different outlets, and one outlet isn't ground, and the other is, sometimes you can become the ground for the device that isn't grounded...
#3 Grounding requirements vary from location to location, different soil types and moisture levels in the soil require different length rods, in my case it's a 14ft copper rod hammered down into the ground, for you it could be shorter or longer, if you don't have a ground-rod on the home.
#4 Does this happen when the computer is on, or off, or all the time?
#5 If all grounding is good in the home, it's possible the PSU is messing up, or the ground wire in it isn't attached... I wouldn't advise opening it to find out either, buy another one if everything else checks out.

Also, no, it's not a nail that you put in the ground... It's litterally a thick copper rod that's hammered several feet downwards, and all ground points on outlets are tied to it.

need4speeds

Distinguished
There is no ground. This is similar to the way many houses were wired in the USA and Canada before about 1960.
Often systems using Diesel generators have poor grounds or people just plugged stuff together to make it work.

1. Unplug the computer cord.
2. Put tape on the 3rd round plug.
3. Plug it back in without making the tape come off.

-The result will be that there is no longer a ground connected to the power supply and computer case.
If the Common wire was connected to the ground but there is really no ground, that now means the ground is now really a hot wire. That would make the case connected to a live wire and give you a shock.

-Unplug the power wire before doing any work in the future on the computer.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Use caution with things like lamps, ect. Items with a metal case are more likely to give you a shock.

-Look into if there is a way to repair this. Maybe the wire is corroded where it connects to a pipe or grounding rod.
If there is supposed to be a ground, see if you can get it fixed so it works correctly.

SimplyClueless

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016

I get shocked even when its off and still plugged in, only at the metal parts of the case like the screws, the usb ports included. I don't think its static, touched it many times without touching anything else, always gets shocked continuously, i can't be charged all those times.

My best advice would be to call an electrician. I don't live in that region and have no idea what the common electrical practices are or anything else. Any of my advise would be based off U.S. electrical but we may use an entirely different system. Electricity isn't something you really want to play with if you're unsure, even what may be sound advice here based off our method of electric delivery and safety codes may not apply to your situation.

As others said, grounding is often done with a grounding rod, a solid copper 8ft rod and it's usually driven around 6-7ft into the ground (at least around here in the U.S.). Improper grounding can cause issues also, if someone tried to put a grounded receptacle/outlet in place where there wasn't one and mistakenly connected the ground of the outlet to the neutral. When power is on, the electricity flowing back through the neutral would be transferred to the 'ground' and anything attached to it causing backfeeding of current through what one would assume then is 'grounded' when it's not. That can cause shocks among other things.

Depending on your local power situation it may or may not require a lot of work to get your home power straightened out.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Yeah that is because the power is coming from the middle round grounding wire that is connected inside the power supply to the metal case. It has nothing to do with if the power supply is on or not. Inside the electrical panel the common wire is connected to the ground wire. The ground is supposed to be connected to the ground. If the ground is not working for some reason then the ground wire becomes live because it is connected to the common wire. So yes you will have 120 or 220 volts coming from the middle prong.

This is why i said to put tape on the middle prong so you disconnect that middle ground wire from the computer.
-It will fix it for now and then you can look into why the ground is not working later.
If the grounding problem is fixed you can take the tape off so it's grounded properly. (If you break the lug off you can't put it back on, some people break the lug off)