I lost control of my car (I safely stopped) and wondering if I damaged anything ?

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Dear Tom's Hardware,

Hey guys I did something pretty stupid and I feel bad about it. I was driving in the middle of my friends (one was driving in front of me and one was in the back). Anyway it was late at night and I wasn't thinking I went fast on a wide turn and started loosing control of my car swerving side to side. I eventually got control of my car and pulled over to take a breather, no one got hurt and I didn't crash into anything. All I did was swerve around the street. I drove it after that and didn't notice anything wrong with the car but I was worrying the whole night that I might of damaged the car by swerving a lot. I would appreciate if anyone can give me some advice and tell me if there could be something wrong with it, or maybe to be on a look out for something. I have a 2004 mustang gt with around 65,000 miles on it. Thanks for all the help and I learned my lesson to slow down.

Solution
Glad everything's ok and its just a mistake, I like messing with cars but not being their I like to consider all possibilities if safety might be a concern.

LSD is limited slip diff (differential)

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
You are fine. I have spun out and done 4 full rotations on autocross course before and trust me, the strain in a car turning every witch way and hammering on the brakes and gas is way worse than anything you possibly did.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

It has enough power to do so with relative ease, its very normal for a powerful rear drive car to break em loose in a turn if you don't control the oversteer just right.

Heck, my car will blow em off into smoke if you snap the throttle to 1/2 when standing still. Again not at all hard to do with any amount of decent power.

Best way to prevent this is to practice more at a track to better understand your individual vehicle's handling dynamics.

Also if you don't already have an LSD in the rear I would add one, it makes it WAY easier to control.

I agree its easy to do deliberately and quite predictable but the OP came across as very surprised by this and it shouldn't happen under normal driving conditions, if it did its worth checking out from a safety point of view. Its probably nothing and I am making assumptions but when it comes to safety Id always fall on the side of caution.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

Well according to what I saw in the OP he was kinda driving it faster than normal, and we all know that "with friends" means 50 over on the interstate lol!

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

The Reason i lost control was due to the fact that i was going fast on the slight turn in the road and thanks for replying to my question

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

you are correct it was around 45 to 50 if i remember correctly and it was in a deserted area so there was noone to hurt only ourselves lol thanks for replying

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Im sorry you feel that way, i always try to drive safely i just made a mistake and took a turn at 50 mph or so

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

thanks so much for the reply it helps alot

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

thanks for the reply ill take note of what you said ( i know you kidding )

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

I'll make sure to keep on the look out for what you told me and thanks for the reply ( i know you joking)

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

I was being a little silly and messing around (which I usually don't do). also my front struts are a little worn but nothing horrible.

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

what is an LSD and thank you so much for the reply

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Hey guy i just want to thank everyone who helped me out, i really appreciate it.
I also want to clear my name a little because people are assuming i'm just a stupid kid but actually i'm the total opposite. I ALWAYS drive safely and that night i just wasn't thinking and was acting silly but anyway i appreciate the help. i can't pick a solution because there are too many solutions from many different people. if anyone else has this issue or concern the solutions are in this thread just read through it. Again thank you to everyone who helped me out and if you want to post any more advice or tips go right ahead i'll be checking this thread every so often.

Ultrawarrior

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

I really appreciate the concern and will answer any questions to the best of my ability