HDMI Sound Output Has Stopped Working on an LG 24M45 LED Monitor

jkk45

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi guys could you please help me with the following problem

I don't know what's happened, but the availability to select the headphone jack on my LG monitor to output sound has been removed. It once appeared as an option you could select in the playback devices when you click on the sound icon in the desktop tray, near the clock. However it has now completely disappeared. I have one other monitor- a Samsung S24D300. Both are connected via HDMI to a GTX 970. The LG has a headphone jack, whilst the Samsung does not. I also have ticked the option to show disconnected and disabled devices.

Solution
I had a similar issue with a HDMI cable once before, It turns out one of the pins on the HDMI cable was pretty messed up and wasn't outputting sound correctly, after replacing the cable turned out to work again. So ensure that the HDMI cable isn't faulty.

Here are some other quick troubleshooting tips you can run through as well,

Turn off the computer, flip the switch on the power supply and flip it back to on.

Reboot and check again.

If you for some reason can't find a spare HDMI cable anywhere, swap out the HDMI cable from the Samsung to the LG one and see if that gives audio output. If it doesn't it most likely isn't a faulty cable.

If that's the case; Press Windows+R to display Run, input devmgmt.msc and tap OK.
and see if you...

Jefffritz12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I had a similar issue with a HDMI cable once before, It turns out one of the pins on the HDMI cable was pretty messed up and wasn't outputting sound correctly, after replacing the cable turned out to work again. So ensure that the HDMI cable isn't faulty.

Here are some other quick troubleshooting tips you can run through as well,

Turn off the computer, flip the switch on the power supply and flip it back to on.

Reboot and check again.

If you for some reason can't find a spare HDMI cable anywhere, swap out the HDMI cable from the Samsung to the LG one and see if that gives audio output. If it doesn't it most likely isn't a faulty cable.

If that's the case; Press Windows+R to display Run, input devmgmt.msc and tap OK.
and see if you see your speakers under audio inputs and outputs.
If you do, update to the latest drivers for the monitor there, if not go to LG's website and find your drivers for your monitor on the website.

Let me know if you get any results back from those solutions.

Solution