No display or USB power after installing new CPU cooler

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hello,
Im starting to go a little mad. Recently my brother bought a preowned gaming PC from CeX. When we brought it home I ran some benchmarks and found that the stock cooler had been poorly applied and convinced him to buy a Hyper 212 EVO instead. Today I fitted the EVO and powered on the PC to find no display from the GTX 960, and no power from all the USB ports.

The USB ports work with a USB stick, but not with a mouse or keyboard, leading me to believe that they have lost their ability to power devices. On top of this there is now no display to the monitor, however I think the mouse needs shaking in order to wake the graphics card up and recognise the monitor (as this was how the PC acted before).

Luckily the PC comes with a 2 year warranty, but ideally I'd like to fix it cause if I can get it working, it's a great deal.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The PC specs are as follows:
2500K (Stock)
Asus P motherboard
16GB ram
450W Corsair VS PSU (I'm thinking this may be the issue but have no way of testing)
GTX 960 (MSI)

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Alright so it's powering up perfectly fine you're saying? like liights and everything stay on? or does it shut off after 5 seconds. You could have shifted your cpu some how installing the new heat sink. or shocked something on your board

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I tried reinstalling the stock cooler and everything seems good so far.

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
960 gtx spec- Your pretty much cutting it close to begin with everything all together. How many fans do you have? any added leds in it? I almost certain now that it's the PSU not being able to power everything due to it being already close to being maxed out under full load. I mean at first i thought it was one of those close looped liquid cooling kits. Anyways try putting it back on makesure its all snapped in correctly. could be overheating or again shifted some how this is odd
Thermal and Power Specs:
98 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)
120 WGraphics Card Power (W)
400 WRecommended System Power (W)**
1x 6-pinsSupplementary Power Connectors

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

I have 3 other fans in the system. I will try to persuade my brother to upgrade the power supply, I've been looking at the EVGA 600W on Amazon here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Power-Supplies/EVGA-600-80-PC-Power-Supply-Unit/B01127D0MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483137622&sr=8-1&keywords=XFX%2Bpsu&th=1

I believe that this is enough power to run the PC reliably, please correct me if I'm wrong.