Can I use windows 7 product key to reinstall windows 10 on a new ssd?

DavidStridh

Distinguished
May 14, 2016
As the title describes I want to know if I can resintall windows 10 completely and activate it with the same key I activated my windows 7 before the free windows 10 upgrade.

Solution
no, a CPU fan won't change anything.

if you swapped motherboard or CPU it would help to do the last link in Barty's post as that links your licence to your email address and not the PC its on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the only change is an ssd, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Follow clean install guide: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will reactivate itself

When you updated to win 10 the first time, you got a digital entitlement to always install win 10 on that PC again. You don't need the old key anymore :)

remove any extra hdd while installing or win 10 may use them for the boot menu, making it difficult to boot windows if you remove the other drive later.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

DavidStridh

Distinguished
May 14, 2016

I'm really sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm also installing a new cpu fan though I'm guessing that doesn't have much to do with that. :D

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, Colif has covered it off. With a storage and CPU cooler upgrade, neither are "significant hardware changes" and your digital entitlement remains.

The added security of linking to your MS account isn't a bad idea, but totally unnecessary in this instance. If you use your MS account to log in, you'll have it anyway (or it's a one-click link). If you use a local account, you wont. You can clean install & skip the key and it'll activate.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you use an MS Account as login, it was linked automatically after patch 1607 was released. I haven't done it as I use a local account and it checks the activation every few days and if you activated using the MSA, you have to keep using that account or it might deactivate. I haven't linked my MSA to my local account as I have it on another user I don't use (long story).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Couldn't remember if it happened automatically after 1607 or if you still had to link it.

I ended up linking mine after a clean OS install..... I had a 'moment' and signed in with my MS account, not even thinking - I always used a local account prior to that. Now I don't want to remove my MS account and create local to avoid risking it 'deactivating'. Oh well, at least when my next build comes along I can move it (or at least try to).

Colif

Win 11 Master
i am half linked, i have my MSA linked to Onedrive and the store, but not to my user or cortana. That way cortana also doesn't work and bug me, but i can access apps or use onedrive.

I can't see a next build, more likely to just upgrade this one eventually. It still feels new to me. even though its 18 months old

USAFRet

Titan

Linking with an MS account, and then creating and using a local, does not 'deactivate' the digital entitlement.
It remains linked, for the next time you change hardware.

TRENDING THREADS