Factory Amp Location 2004 Nissan Xterra

ARMRoc Molloy

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Tried Nissan Forum first but on my phone and couldn't get it to work

I'm trying to figure out my factory amp location without ripping my car apart as an extra project

I just got a bass tube for Christmas and cause of complications, got no money for the aftermarket amp I want I was hoping and thinking of installing my bass tube into my factory amp in the meantime

I think it may be behind the radio but not 100% sure cause I can't find where I read that's where it may be cause everytime I search for it with "2004 Nissan Xterra" I either get the (I think it starts with) 1998-2000 bracket or the 2005-2009 bracket whereas I need the 2001-2004 bracket

I had the standard radio set up I believe, with the radio just having a bass, treble, fade, and balance options

I either need to know where the amp is located so I can look to see if it even got a place to wire a bass tube with speaker wires (the ones you'd get when you do aftermarket anyways) or need to know what model and what it is so I could look it up

Solution
Pull your deck. Get your hands dirty. Yes, the colored wires are the factory speaker wires.

After market wires are thicker gauge because of the additional power the Amp pushes through.

Attaching a sub without an amp is going to not work well. For one thing, its going to get jack for power. Not only is it going to be starved of power, but the bass gain is going to be way off. Your sub is going to try and create sounds it can't because you're not getting rid of the high frequencies with a cross over or amplifier.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
not sure how helpful this will be but i had a 2004 infiniti g35. (pretty much a nissan 350z but luxury version)

in my car the amp was located in the trunk under one of the plastic pieces that surrounded the spare tire. so for me, i lifted the trunk carpet, unbolted the left plastic piece (large black piece) and then under it was the amp.

BUT... are you 100% sure your car even has a factory amp? if you have base radio, it might just be the head units amp and there wont be an external amp at all. i had the bose system which came with the amp

btw, even if you do have the factory amp, not sure you'll be able to accomplish what you need anyway.
depending on the rms of the bass tube, you could potentially just wire it using the rear speakers. like disconnect the rear speakers and hook up the leads to the tube. not ideal but COULD work.

ARMRoc Molloy

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
@HDmark My brother was thinking that with using the speaker wires of the back speakers but if there's no amp that'd mean that the speakers are connected by the radio harness with all the colored wires which I have So if that the case wouldn't the speakersame also be connected by a multi wire colored connection like the radio?

What? Yes, your rear speakers are connected to your deck. That is normal.
There are typically only Lfront Rfront and Lrear Rrear channels. So if you want to add speakers, you don't get a Lsuperrear and an Rsuperrear, you just splice into Lrear and Rrear.

That is how it is done, with or without an amp. If you have an amp, you splice it in before the subs, after the speakers.

This is all material that has been gone over in depth, hundreds and hundreds of times. Caraudioforum.com would be a great place to start.

You are going to need to learn quite a bit about audio before you get this going, and more importantly - sounding good.

ARMRoc Molloy

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Well I saw the pic of a frontier (which is closest to the Xterra) looking at the factory amp and it showed that it was connected with a multi wired colored connection

So do factory speakers have speaker wires we'd use in a aftermarket build or can they have the multi wired colored connection?

I've researched the crap outta aftermarket build and picked my components in relation to each other with rms considered

Its just idk that much about my factory sound system that makes me wonder if I could connect my bass tube without my aftermarket amp

Pull your deck. Get your hands dirty. Yes, the colored wires are the factory speaker wires.

After market wires are thicker gauge because of the additional power the Amp pushes through.

Attaching a sub without an amp is going to not work well. For one thing, its going to get jack for power. Not only is it going to be starved of power, but the bass gain is going to be way off. Your sub is going to try and create sounds it can't because you're not getting rid of the high frequencies with a cross over or amplifier.

Solution

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
my opinion and what i did on my blazer and my g35.... save up, and gut the entire factory system and start from scratch. the cars ive seen/worked on from the early 2000's didnt have much fancy stuff in them like built in nav, or computer systems running through the head unit. buy all of the components you want and then take a weekend and do it all at once. you'll waste too much time if you do it in stages or steps unless you REALLY think and plan it out.

go check out caraudio.com like greens suggested or an xterra forum and that should help a ton

It really isn't that bad. HD is right, trying to do this make shift and piecemeal is going to be a nightmare and possibly even damage components.
Things you need:
Deck. RCA splitters(if you use two amps). RCA cables. AMP (two if you're cool, one if you just want to power speakers off the deck), speaker cable, your mono sub, a component set (two tweeters, two speakers, and two crossovers) and you're done! Total cost is low, not more than $300 if you go with cheaper stuff.

If you're super cool you put in a heavy duty capacitor and a fuze set.

This stuff is not as expensive as it used to be. You can get cheap stuff that sounds great.