Rendering Video Problem..

cooldude8530

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Ok i know this probably aint the right thread but i couldn't find the correct one. I've been using Sony Vegas to render videos using my CPU. I recently got a new RX 470 GPU and decided to allow it to do my rendering in staid of the CPU so i could still work on other things without any CPU lag but with GPU rendering on it still uses 100% of my CPU which docent seem right to me any help...?

Solution
Depending of what is being accelerated there might not be even any speeds up at all. It's the same with DXVA decoding on H264, GPU will be used few% but there is still plenty of work to do by the CPU.
OP can check actual usage of GPU during rendering/encoding but CPU will still have the dominant job to do.

It really depends of different factors how this acceleration will work or not. If we are talking about encoding itself then it will vary of the encoder used. From what i know about Sony Vegas it doesn't shy in GPU acceleration. People tend to use Adobe Premiere for that matter.
my understanding if GPU rendering just offloads the portions of a render job that a GPU can perform better than a CPU to the GPU. The CPU will still be doing work for the parts it performs better. So it's more a team effort than shifting the entire workload from a CPU to the GPU.

Are your render times faster with GPU mode turned on?

cooldude8530

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Nope after more nosing around the GPU is at 0-1% utilisation so something is working worse than i thought. There is no difference with GPU mode on or off both predict 1Hour 17Minutes after a couple minutes.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Depending of what is being accelerated there might not be even any speeds up at all. It's the same with DXVA decoding on H264, GPU will be used few% but there is still plenty of work to do by the CPU.
OP can check actual usage of GPU during rendering/encoding but CPU will still have the dominant job to do.

It really depends of different factors how this acceleration will work or not. If we are talking about encoding itself then it will vary of the encoder used. From what i know about Sony Vegas it doesn't shy in GPU acceleration. People tend to use Adobe Premiere for that matter.

Solution