USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter in the long term

ChicoDeGoma

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I was checking forum before asking, when I found someone who said

The adapter will be fine if you use it in the short term

So I'm searching one adapter to put it on an Odroid XU-4 which will work as a NAS, that menas 24/7 and I'm kind of worried about the statement.

Should I do it that that way? In case of yes, which would be a recommended adapter?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
You can do it in the long term if you want but I would not suggest it. I run several NAS media servers over the years. Everything from linux, WHS, Win 7/10, proprietary setups like router based/home cloud. Anytime I have use a USB based connection for my HDD on any of them I always hit stability issues with larger file transfers like movie or multi GB/TB transfers. For what ever reason USB always seem to drop the bigger transfers at random. It's fine for small <500MB files for near 100% stability but anything bigger and the drops/lock-up just get mind numbing over time. Even way back when firewire was still popular it gave me issues under the conditions listed above. Point being beyond a thumb stick SSD, I am hard pressed to ever recommend a USB based external solution for larger files. I am not saying you can't get them to work it's just not a great choice compared to a SATA/eSATA connection that will ALWAYS work. If your doing smaller data sets or the drops don't bug you then yeah go ahead and there are a ton of great adapters like this one...
They have arguably gotten better because of SSD upgrade kits needing to be dependable for larger data sets. So using some of the SSD transfer kits over USB for upgrades this might do you well and will still work with a reg HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4M53SS6593

If it were me i would find a board for your nas that has a sata/esta connection. Regardless I hope this helps.