Windows Install Freezing and Failing

LoLcAkEs

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hey all,

I've been trying to clean install windows 10 on a laptop (from 2009, came with windows 7), but I have been having quite a bit of trouble. The laptop was running a clean install of windows 10, but I was having frequent full system freezes, and I needed to battery pull every time to restart the system. I decided I would try clean installing windows 10 again, but now I can't even get the OS to install. The system experiences a variety of issues, either a black screen in the install menu or during installation, or freezing (cursor included) during the actual windows install, or if it manages to install successfully (only once in about 15 tries), it'll completely freeze when initializing drivers and corrupt itself.

Now, I have faced this issue on another PC before, and it was a failing HDD. So I ran Seatools Long Scan on the laptop and it came back clean with no issues. CHKDSK also came back clean with no issues (bad sectors or otherwise). I ran a few passes of memtest with no issues at all. Thinking maybe the optical drive, disc, or image was bad, I re downloaded the latest windows 10 ISO onto a freshly formatted USB, which still fails. BIOS settings are reset to default, and I've kept the system as cool as possible during the whole ordeal.

I am now out of ideas, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LoLcAkEs

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
MERGED QUESTION
Question from LoLcAkEs : "Windows Install Freezing and Failing"

Hey all,

I've been trying to clean install windows 10 on a laptop (from 2009, came with windows 7), but I have been having quite a bit of trouble. The laptop was running a clean install of windows 10, but I was having frequent full system freezes, and I needed to battery pull every time to restart the system. I decided I would try clean installing windows 10 again, but now I can't even get the OS to install. The system experiences a variety of issues, either a black screen in the install menu or during installation, or freezing (cursor included) during the actual windows install, or if it manages to install successfully (only once in about 15 tries), it'll completely freeze when initializing drivers and corrupt itself.

Now, I have faced this issue on another PC before, and it was a failing HDD. So I ran Seatools Long Scan on the laptop and it came back clean with no issues. CHKDSK also came back clean with no issues (bad sectors or otherwise). I ran a few passes of memtest with no issues at all. Thinking maybe the optical drive, disc, or image was bad, I re downloaded the latest windows 10 ISO onto a freshly formatted USB, which still fails. BIOS settings are reset to default, and I've kept the system as cool as possible during the whole ordeal.

I am now out of ideas, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.