Acer XB241H 180 HZ problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazmaniandevil

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hi there,

So I just bought a Acer XB241H 24" Predator to be my new main monitor the other is a BenQ GL2250 60HZ.

The problem i'm having at the moment is the native refresh rate of the Acer is 144hz but it has a built in overclocking feature to make it 180HZ refresh rate, when I do overclock (even though its not anything bad or too disrupting) faint white / gray lines horizontal lines appear on the screen. I know it isnt my video card because its fine at 144hz and my other monitor is also fine. The lines are very thin and very faint, but its noticeable. Do you think the monitor is faulty? or its just the way it is.

My Pc Specs are (just in case)
GeForce GTX 1070
Intel i7 6700
3TB HDD
250 GB SSD
Msi B150 PC Mate motherboard
16gb of ram

If theres anything ive missed please let me know,

TL;DR Acer monitor at 144hz is fine with no lines or any problems, but when overclocked at 180hz faint thin white / grey horizontal lines appear..any ideas?

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Solution

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
The lines are quite bothersome. I think it could be the cheap displayport cable that the monitor came with. Try another cable, see if that fixes it.

Personally, I overclocked mine to 160hz and left it as is. It's a compromise -- faster than 144hz, and has faint, even less noticeable lines than 180hz.

Let me know if you find a solution, because I have the same exact monitor and same exact problem.

Chazmaniandevil

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply, it brings me peace of mind to know i'm not the only one who has this problem as I really did not want to go through the motions of having to return and exchange something. Ill ask a friend of mine if he has a spare display port cable and ill try it latest by new years day, and ill post back my results here! but if its just a case of that is the way the monitor is, its not absolutely devastating thing to have on the screen, its just something I personally feel i'm being picky about haha currently just using the native 144hz, ill do the same as you and leave it on 160hz to see how it feels also.

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

I bought a new gold-tipped displayport cable and plugged it in. No difference. Very sad. Especially since I contacted customer support before and they told me to buy a new cable.

After looking closer at the screen, it seems that the lines are more visible on the left than on the right. Also, lowering the refresh rate to 120hz makes them disappear completely. I just wish there would be no lines at 180hz.

You have a black and red card that comes with the monitor, which gives you a number and a website to go to for customer support. I contacted them, told them my problem, and they issued a repair for me. The process should take about two weeks as soon as I send it.

Solution

Kiyoka

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Hello,
I have the exact same problem with the same specific monitor you two guys have and it looks like our problem is very common with tons of peopel who bought this monitor.
I would like to know how your monitor repair went like and if the problem got fixed and also I would like to know what was the problem and how it was fixed if it did,

When I first got my monitor for the first month it played fluently with out any problem and after a month and above another and another white bright horizonal lines added to the screen and they only apear above 100hz and by the end of the year I bet my monitor will show at list 15 lines of those...

I Hope for an answer from you and I don't have any RMA on this monitor so I wish I can fix it by my self in a lab or something like that....

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

I RMA'd my monitor at the beginning of the month, and I'm getting it tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

If the monitor comes back looking the same way, my next guess is that my old surge protector is the culprit.
When I had the monitor, my motherboard kept telling me that it detected a surge in power and that the psu is faulty, and it took two boots to turn on my computer. After sending this monitor, and plugging in my old one, I no longer have the problem. My old monitor has better color, no scanlines, and it doesn't cause the bios to activate 'asus antisurge'

Kiyoka

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Allright I will be looking for your answer.
I don't know what is ur new refresh rate monito rthough and I odn't see any connection between the psu to the monitor so that sounds like some weird stuff

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

I got my monitor back and the problem is still there.
They replaced the LCD panel though.
I don't know what to do. I tried plugging my monitor into a different outlet and I still have the same problem.

Don't RMA your monitor. It costed me $60 to ship it to them, I waited 3 weeks, and I got the monitor back with nothing fixed.
I could spend another $60 and ship it to them for a replacement, but I feel like the horizontal lines are normal for 144hz+ monitors. My gf's 144hz monitor also has these lines.

Kiyoka

Prominent
May 14, 2017

The lines arent normal thats for sure...
When i first bought my monitor it had none of those lines for about 25 days , after that every few days there would apear another line.
My guess is that the panel cannot withstand that high refresh rate and it gives fault information to some lines in the array that makes their colour value being wrong, it might be a program fault or more like vhdl wrong writing code but there might be another thing like the panel which isnt perfect as expected from lcd monitor with high frequency.....

I guess i will just leave it like that and ill do my best to ignore those lines but i must say that i can feel a huge difference between 144hz to 180hz while gaming especially with g sync which is so great to play like this

Abrax4s

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Hello, i'm sorry to hear that you guys facing problem even when the monitor is kinda premium, i was thinking of buying this monitor, so i guess i should not, what do you say ?

Kiyoka

Prominent
May 14, 2017
So go for this monitor or asus 180hz.
The speakers suck anyway and that is the only difference between those.
If u get the lines just get used to them, and try keeping ur hZ below 120 when u are not gaming

Abrax4s

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
if i stick to 120hz i won't get lines? or even 144 ? problem is i had Samsun CFG70 which after a week of use had grey white line problem, i returned it, refunded it and now i was considering this monitor as it has g sync and looks amazing but fml so many complains regarding this line stuff with this acer monitor, and same goes for Asus swift, i was reading forums and its filled with complains, damn shall i go for Benq Zowie XL2411 than ? i was going for Predator XB241H as it looked awesome to me but now complains regarding this one too, really confused where to go and btw, this was the problem i faced on my samsung cfg70
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/2332/JuLnFF.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2012/htK5yk.jpg
and biggest problem is prices are not same as USA in my country, here stuff is way too expensive. so most of the recommendations don't match up my budget. my budget is $494 and yet most of good monitors from ASUS ROG etc are out of my budget. That's how badly stuff is overpriced here.

Status
Not open for further replies.