1080p vs 1440p?

Shadowofgaming

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Hi there!

I am buying a new pc. This is the specs:

GPU: Strix GTX 1080 SLI (New SLI HB Bridge).
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K.
RAM: Either 64 or 128 GB.
SSD: 1TB.

Any recommendations for a motherboard? Perhaps the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME/ASSEMBLY?

I am definitely getting a 144hz monitor, but what resolution would you suggest from your own experience? Is 1080 the smoothest, or is 1440 the smoothes? Gameplay wise, but obviously a balance between gameplay and quality. :))

Thank you.

Solution
If your looking for a monitor that's 1440P with a over 75hz refresh rate, you could consier the QNIX QX2710 which is what I use, if your willing to buy from korea.
1080 SLI is a great candidate for 144Hz 1440p. it can even do 4K well enough to make a 144Hz monitor worthwhile, but good luck finding a monitor that does that and is affordable. when you start trying to push well over 60 FPS, the CPU often struggles to keep up, so you rpoably would not get many more FPS on 1080p, and besides at 1080p the 144Hz would probably be a limit in some games. besides 1080p is just not something I would buy now especially with those cards.

Just FYI that chip supports at most 64GB of RAM, but you will be hard pressed to use 32 up.
also while that board is among the highest in the high end scale you really do not need it. pretty much any $150 baord with SLI two way 16X support is plenty.

With that kinda setup I would go with a X99 chipset and CPU. With SLI you will be able to take advantage of more PCIe 3.0 lanes with the x99 chipset.

As for the monitor dont waste your time with 1080p. Your PC is only as strong as your weakest link. In your case, the weakest link will be your monitor at 1080p. I have a predator x34. It is ultra wide screen display at 1440p that can overclock to 100hz with g-sync. It is incredibly smooth and I cant go back.

And about ram, there are not any games that come close to using 64gb. It will not make your PC any faster. You will just have extra ram sitting idle. I have 32gb and I have never come near using it all in an application. Maybe you use some software that uses that kinda ram, but I dont know of any.

the thing is, while going top of the line is neat, at that point I would get a 6900K or 6850K and a solid X99 board like the Asus deluxe, for the same price you get close to 50% more CPU power. do you plan to use LN2 on your CPU? because that is about the only reason I would use to get the Rampage.