Samsung 4K UHD TV not displaying in 60hz

RepInt

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
Hi all, I just recently purchased a new Samsung KU6290 UHD 4K TV for use as a computer and gaming monitor (it is rated for truMotion or clearMotion or whatever as 120, so it should be able to do 60hz). I have tried my darndest to get it to display 4K at 60hz, but to no avail. Here are my system specs and what I've tried:

Desktop:
Windows 10 Home w/latest updates
Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 FTW with fully updated drivers
16gb RAM
Connection: DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 rated cable through Active adapter/converter

-Tried brand new 4k rated HDMI cable
-Turned off display and computer completely and let power drain, then rebooted
-Set refresh rate manually in both Windows Display options and Nvidia Control Panel (This results in strange flickering and my TV freaking out)
-Changed input to input 1 and enabled HDMI UHD Color setting
-Set DPI scaling down to 100% for all monitors (currently just running the one TV for troubleshooting)
-Tried updating the display drivers, but it claims the best are installed (my TV shows up as Generic non-pnp in Device manager - Samsung is no help in this matter)

I'm starting to get super frustrated by this, as everything I see points to this being able to work, but refusing to for some reason.

I'm sure I'm just being dumb, but if anyone has any suggestions or questions that could help you help me, I will be happy (and hopefully prompt) to provide them.

Thanks everyone who sees this!

Solution

You may need to set a custom resolution. I am running two Radeon R9 Fury Xs in my computer, and was only able to get 4k at 30hz through display port to hdmi 2.0 converter. I installed this utility, and set a custom resolution. I am now able to use my Samsung 4k tv as my monitor for my computer.

Look into this:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
I dont know a lot about your tv, but here is an article you should read that talks about how companies are not "honest" when it comes to refresh rates.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

I know that there are not any 4k monitors that have 120hz. I have a predator x34 and it will only run 100hz on a display port. Does your monitor have a display port? If so, plug it into that.

Also, your 670 will not be about to come near 60fps, so does it really matter?

RepInt

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Well, I will say I do know of some 4k TVs out there now that can support true 120hz (called truMotion 240 sometimes) but that's beside the point.

There is no DP input because it is a TV, not a monitor. Only HDMI 2.2 and below compliant, so I have a DP to HDMI 2.2 active converter.

And yeah perhaps the 670 can't reach a full 60 fps rendering in 4k at 60 or even 30hz, but I am less concerned with frame rate than I am with refresh rate. This mouse lag is killing me.

Read the article. The "truMotion" is advertising garbage that companies are throwing out there that is a way they can say they increase the refresh rate. My guess is it is the DP to HDMI converter. If the nividia control panel gave you the option to move to 60hz then your monitor was capable. The screen flashing sounds like it is not getting the connection it needs.

The mouse lag may also be because of a TV's slower input lag. Its a TV, not a gaming monitor, so input lag is not as important when they are designed.

RepInt

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

No writing but I can definitely confirm that the first input is rated for 60hz and uhd color

You're on the right track. The solution to the OP's issue is buying a more modern graphics card that has hdmi 2.0 or better.

RepInt

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
It's true that the 670 for sure doesn't support hdmi 2.0 or higher over hdmi, by displayport should be able to support the bandwidth necessary. Some research online has shown me that I should conceivably be able to use this card through displayport to get 60hz.

Azua

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017

You may need to set a custom resolution. I am running two Radeon R9 Fury Xs in my computer, and was only able to get 4k at 30hz through display port to hdmi 2.0 converter. I installed this utility, and set a custom resolution. I am now able to use my Samsung 4k tv as my monitor for my computer.

Look into this:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Solution