Question for the Mobo geeks: in your opion, will AMD Ryzen be worth choosing over Intel's Cannonlake? OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
I haven't had the internet service as of late to keep up with all the AMD and Intel noice over their upcoming CPU launches so I want to know if opting to purchasing AMD's Ryzen over Cannonlake will be a smart purchase.

Context: I've been on AM3+ ever since it dropped with some okay pre-built from iBuyPower, I haven't been able to upgrade till now.
That being said I don't know a lot about Intel's architecture's strangths and weeknesses besides hyperthreading being an exclusive to Intel, plus all I know about the differences between one LGA socket to another is the year generations (and what you can see on Wikipedia).

Is Ryzen worth my money from a gaming standpoint when I already own the other pieces of hardware to utilize it's capabilities (little to no bottle necking) ?

Or

Do you think Intel will run away with the cake once again?

Houdtje

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
The new Amd cpu's will be much beter than their latest ones. I think it is worth it to go for Amd this time but we still have to wait for some benchmarks to confirm this.

CloudGuy1105

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
I think Ryzen will not only take the came but stab cannonlakes dead corpse with it afterwards. :) Oh and Ryzen has hyperthreading

CropEditPaste

Honorable
May 13, 2016
AMD's enthusiast CPU's (FX series) have not been updated since 2011-2014 on the same old Piledriver/Vishera architecture, and they still kick absolute butt in gaming even today, so if Ryzen lives up to the hype, I'd say that AMD may win over Intel in gaming. Also at a lower pricepoint and similar performance and processing to slightly older Intel processors, I think that it'll be a rough year for Intel. Also AMD is making a switch from logical processors (8 core AMD processor actually has 4 actual cores, 2 logical processors per core) to actual cores, with the knowledge and experience of "doubling the core per core", I think AMD may actually pull ahead of Intel in architecture terms. From what I know and see, AMD knows what the heck they are talking about when it comes to architecture but have a hard time perfecting it and topping it off.

AMD is gonna kick butt this year. I can feel it.

TRENDING THREADS