New PC seems to turn on but no monitor display

Chris361

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
I recently built a PC and it was working fine with absolutely no issues for about a week. I was playing a game (Civ 6) when the screen went blank and there was a buzzing noise in my headphones. I had played this game quite a few times before on this computer and had experienced no problems. I turned it off and on again, seeing as that seems to fix most problems, and it appeared to be working fine. I used it all the next day for simple tasks (Microsoft word, power point, e mail etc.) with no issues however it crashed in the same way when I tried to play the game again.

I thought it might be a problem with the game so I checked that the game files weren't corrupted and if anyone else had been having similar problems. I also checked that the drivers for my graphics card and motherboard were updated to the latest version. I was pretty sure my hardware met the minimum requirements for the game so I tied to run a graphics benchmark within the game however it crashed again before I could. This time it didn't turn back on again. The fans are on, all the lights on the case and the graphics card are on, even the back lights on my keyboard are on but there appears to be no signal to the monitor. I have checked the HDMI is connected to the gpu, tried with a different monitor and with a VGA cable. I've looked at a lot of other questions online but I couldn't find anything that helped.

I would appreciate any advice on how to solve this problem.

TLDR; New PC worked fine for a week, crashed while playing a game and now it seems to turn on but there's no signal to the monitor.

Components:

• CPU: Intel i5 660k
    Motherboards: MSI H170A PC Mate
    Graphics Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8gb DDR5
    Power Supply: Corsair CX550M
    RAM: PNY Anarchy PC4-19200 DDR4 PC Memory - 2 x 4 GB DIMM