VG248QE refresh rate topped @ 100hz w/ Displayport (monitor goes black)

Gamrod

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
(first, sorry for double post, original thread posted in wrong category)

Howdy,

I have two VG248QE monitors, the first connected through DVI, the second connected through Displayport. The first is set at 144hz without any problem, but here's the issue : the second (Displayport connected) won't take any more than 100hz (monitor goes black if higher refresh rate is applied), even though it is connected through Displayport (which is supposed to support up to 144hz, unless I got it wrong). Both monitors are connected to an Asus Strix GTX1070 ROG GPU, which has much output options such as 1 x DVI, 3 x Displayport and 1 x HDMI. Resolution is 1920x1080.

At first when going to NVIDIA control panel, it wouldn't let me choose anything more than 60hz through the refresh rate list under the resolution tab. All that was available was 60, 59, and 50hz. Even when going under Windows 10 display option, advanced settings and under the Monitor tab, the highest I could get was 60hz.

I switched cable to an available Displayport socket on the GPU, rebooted, and then out of the blue, when going throught Windows 10 display settings again, I could choose between all available refresh rate range (from 50hz up to 144hz). The thing is, if I chose any option higher than 100hz, the monitor goes black without shutting down completely.

My question is : why would Windows 10 (and the NVIDIA control panel on its end) let me chose between 50, 59, 60, 85, 100, 120 and 144hz but not allowing any refresh rate higher than 100hz by shutting the monitor off ? 1. VG248QE monitor supports 144hz, 2. Displayport supports 144hz, 3. option is available through Windows 10 settings and NVIDIA control panel but, poof, goes black when higher than 100hz. When I get refresh rate back to 100hz, monitor is back up and running as if nothing happened.

All I can see is it's coming from the Displayport from the GPU which may be topped at 100hz, but I can't seem to get any information about this even on NVIDIA website. Any clue to get past this ?

Thanks in advance !

Solution
Moderators can lock this thread.

I bought a new Displayport cable from Insignia (when my first cable was some kind of generic brand), plus I updated my GPU driver ; although at the moment I can't say exactly what manipulation fixed the issue, since at the time I opened this thread I had previously broken the Displayport cable by accident trying to pull it out of my monitor. I updated the driver before having a new cable, thus the lack of knowledge regarding what exactly fixed my problem.

I should have checked the drivers first, though. Next time I come across any issue, I'll keep that in mind.

Problem fixed !

EDIT : That Displayport cable (Insignia) is awesome, it lacks the metal notches that lock the input in the socket ; no more...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Gamrod : "VG248QE refresh rate topped @ 100hz w/ Displayport (monitor goes black)"

Gamrod

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Moderators can lock this thread.

I bought a new Displayport cable from Insignia (when my first cable was some kind of generic brand), plus I updated my GPU driver ; although at the moment I can't say exactly what manipulation fixed the issue, since at the time I opened this thread I had previously broken the Displayport cable by accident trying to pull it out of my monitor. I updated the driver before having a new cable, thus the lack of knowledge regarding what exactly fixed my problem.

I should have checked the drivers first, though. Next time I come across any issue, I'll keep that in mind.

Problem fixed !

EDIT : That Displayport cable (Insignia) is awesome, it lacks the metal notches that lock the input in the socket ; no more forcing it out.

Solution