Reboot loop trying to install Windows 10 on Sandisk SSD

Queenland

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
Hi!

I am trying (for a whole week) to install Windows 10 on a brand new Sandisk SSD, but the windows install DVD reboots itself while still showing the initial Windows logo, about 3-4 minutes after the boot starts. Tried two different optical drives and also a brand new WIndows 10 dvd that I just downloaded with Media Creation tool (so the problem was not my previous DVD disc).

Only the SSD and the optical drive are installed (I have disconnected the HDD to do this).
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P, SSD is connected to GSATA3 (6 Gb/s), and all SAtA control modes (PCH/GSATA and eSATA) are set to AHCI.

Any ideas?

Queenland

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Already tried that...Same result :(

Hello... as another "Simple Test" try your install procedure, OS install on a different drive... the Sandisk drive could be the problem. B /
I would recommend doing a "clean install" procedure to the SanDisk drive at this point... or using 'Custom" install and "drive tools" to see if partitions have been created on it after each previous attempt.

Queenland

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

It's F14 - that's a good version then?

Queenland

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Unfortunately no, I only have one desktop :-/ The SSD is listed on the POST screen (when the computer is turnês on) but not on Standard CMOS Features (in BIOS).

H3br3wHamm3r81

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Ivan's instructions worked for me.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3268621/samsung-960-evo-detected-bios.html#19032612

(I am using Windows 10, Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB SSD, ASUS STRIX X99 motherboard, and Intel i7-6850k CPU.)

Here they are:

I had the same problem but sorted it as follows, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed - mine is now on 2003 link here http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GA...

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.

4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.

8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.

10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Do not put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive.

I would also recommend installing the Samsung NVME driver at this point to replace the Windows one.

The background here is NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector.

Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver.

Make sure you do not use SATA port 1 from that point forward!

H3br3wHamm3r81

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Yes, sorry about that. I was under the impression you were attempting to install Windows 10 on a M.2 SSD. Please disregard.

Queenland

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

No problem. I just purchased an extra USB flash drive and my next try will be to install windows 10 from it instead of a DVD.

Queenland

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

The USB method I mentioned is quite simple - just created a Windows 10 installation flash drive using media creation tool.
My memory sticks are good because my HDD runs windows fine with them (now the HDD is disconected because of the SSD install try).