VERY CONFUSING question about clean installing windows 10..

cslix

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Basically im working backwards with my build but it is what it is..
I currently have windows 10 installed on my 1TB WD HDD... I then purchased a 250GB SSD..
In acouple of days im installing a new mobo, cpu, and ram..
I want to clean install windows on the the ssd now instead of the hdd.. how do basically clean and delete that 1TB WD HDD so that it does not conflict? When im running the windows cd do i click delete on the wd? do i click format or new? i just want to erase it and use it as storage.. and run the windows install on the ssd.. also the ssd will have files on that too so i need to delete everything on both? so "new" "format" "delete" what shall it be people? HELPP :X

Solution
After building you new system, detach all flash/external drives.
Easiest way:
1. Attach both drives (SSD, WD)
2. Set SSD as boot drive in bios
3. In windows install, delete all partitions listed. This will wipe out all files in both SSD and WD.
4. Create new partition in WD only. Format it.
5. Select the unpartitioned/unformatted SSD as installation drive and let the installer create the partitions itself.

2nd way:
1. Attach only the SSD.
2. Install Windows.
3. Attach WD.
4. Go to bios Set the boot drive to SSD.
5. Format WD drives in new windows. Don't forget this erases all files in that drive! If you want the WD to be just 1 drive (partition), you have to repartition the drive.
5.1 Run Disk Management (Create and...

cslix

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009

Ok.. now how would i go about formatting it to use for storage only?

Also I have 3 drives.. can i just click delete on all 3 of them.. then format the ssd and click new or next on the ssd? wouldnt this erase everything on all of them and just format the ssd for the install.. and then i would have to format the other two storage hard drives?

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
After building you new system, detach all flash/external drives.
Easiest way:
1. Attach both drives (SSD, WD)
2. Set SSD as boot drive in bios
3. In windows install, delete all partitions listed. This will wipe out all files in both SSD and WD.
4. Create new partition in WD only. Format it.
5. Select the unpartitioned/unformatted SSD as installation drive and let the installer create the partitions itself.

2nd way:
1. Attach only the SSD.
2. Install Windows.
3. Attach WD.
4. Go to bios Set the boot drive to SSD.
5. Format WD drives in new windows. Don't forget this erases all files in that drive! If you want the WD to be just 1 drive (partition), you have to repartition the drive.
5.1 Run Disk Management (Create and format hard disk partition) or press Winkey + R then run diskmgmt.msc
5.2 On the bottom part, identify the WD drive (the Disk size will probably be around 930GB+). Delete all partitions/volume in your WD (Right-click > delete)
5.3 Create a new partition using all space available on WD then format. Unallocated space > right-click > new simple volume > use max size > assign drive letter > format.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
The main advantage to 2nd way is win 10 has a sneaky habit of putting its boot partition on any other drive apart from C drive, which can create problems if you remove the hard drives later, as then the ssd won't boot. Only having 1 drive in while you install win 10 stops it doing that