PC outputting 1366x768, TV says 1080p, image looks like trash

dromendus

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hey! This is my first post, I've not been able to find anyone else with this issue so I figured I'd make a post.
I have a laptop with a dedicated Nvidia GPU and am trying to use my TV (Emerson LF320EM4) as an external display via HDMI. No matter what resolution I set the secondary display to on my PC, the TV says it's receiving a 1080p signal. This is an issue because it's apparently scaling any input signal to up 1080p and then back down to 768p or 720p, which makes the image look weird and distorted, and causes input lag and screen tearing in games.

Has anyone else had this issue, or any ideas on how to get the TV to accept a signal at its native resolution?

Solution
This happens with cheaper TV sets and also 720p sets with not a real 720 resolution. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768 which is what is should be set to. You can't really use that set for gaming, input lag as you see will be pretty bad. You are likely to see some pretty bad text also, which can be fixed a bit by lowering the contrast and brightness a bit.
This happens with cheaper TV sets and also 720p sets with not a real 720 resolution. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768 which is what is should be set to. You can't really use that set for gaming, input lag as you see will be pretty bad. You are likely to see some pretty bad text also, which can be fixed a bit by lowering the contrast and brightness a bit.

Solution