Help [with suitable GPU upgrade] would be appreciated!

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
hey!

so here's my rig at the moment.

MSI H61M-P31/W8
GeForce GT630 2GB DDR3 Gigabyte Edition
Intel Pentium Dual-Core G2030 3.0 GHz
Kingston 4GB RAM x2
1TB HDD

oke so, i'm planning to spend some little cash that i have on Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4GB GDDR5. now would that make my system problematic? will it fit my motherboard? will it be able to run without any problem? because i know i've got a low-end processor thats going to pair with it. if so, i guess i'll have to opt for an Intel Core i5-2400 Processor 3.40GHz at a later stage when i have more money.. sigh

without the cpu upgrade, will i be able to run gta v at a whopping 40 fps constantly, preferably at high settings? thanks for any insightful opinions.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
so it is atleast compatible with my motherboard? the size and everything?

yeah obviously the processor is the bottleneck here. hmm would it work way way way way WAAAY better with the cpu i mentioned? or just meh

Yes it is compatible.
And yes it will work way better since there will be no bottleneck. Keep in mind that you will also need a new motherboard. And quite possibly another Psu and Ram.
What Psu do you have? And Ram exactly..?

If your old card works and is compatible, new one will be too.
It's a short card so size wouldn't be a problem, that depends on space in the case anyway, any length can fit any MB.
Can't tell you exactly how much of an improvement in game it would be, depends on other factors like OS and it's optimization etc.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
why do i need a new motherboard?

my psu is 450W, an ancient one but having no trouble up till today. ram is kingston 4gb x2 pc3-10700 (667mhz). 99U5474.

yeah i have a windows 10 64bit

Can you please post the brand and modelnr of the psu as this is really important.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
i have not a single clue what exactly it is. but its umm..

Model: PS450W-F1V2
it has AVF letter on it. and Pentium Support 4

edit: found an old picture from my old motherboard. still using this psu http://i.imgur.com/4h8v2AB.png.

Replace it as that will most likely not work for much longer and might even fail to give the gtx 1050 the required 75w over the pcie port.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
i have faith that it will be just fine. you need to understand the finance shortage im having, i have very limited amount of it and i can't just easily accept the suggestion to buy this and buy that. the gtx1050 ti's requirement is only 300w, and if it fail to supply required wattage, i'll have to wait for a longer time to upgrade that.

Hopefully it will work but don't get your hopes up.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
update: finallly installed the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB + Core i5-2400 3.1GHz, and it's a great success. drastic changes in gaming that i couldnt believe my eyes