Upgrade a 6 year old CPU?

RonGamer

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
So I bought a Rift and was considering upgrading my (non Oculus approved) i7-3930k (4.2 GHz OC) CPU and mobo. Using the Anandtech benchmark tool to compare my 3930k to an i7-6700k, I'm not seeing that much of a performance gain:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/552?vs=1543

"Handbrake" is the same at 28 FPS and the 3930k even out preforms in some areas. Hard to know how it would compare if my overclock was factored in. IRL, my system preforms pretty well with the Rift until I crank up the graphics settings.

Would I really see much of a gain with this upgrade? What am I missing?

Current specs:
P9X79 Deluxe mobo
EVGA 980ti sc GPU
SSD, 16MB Ram

Colif

Win 11 Master
I hope you have more than 16 MB of ram :)

Intel CPU haven't really increased a great deal performance wise for a few years as they haven't had to, AMD have until maybe this year always been behind them so Intel spent more time on power management and other things like mobile phones and not PC at all. All they do is add new cores so top end now is 10 cores,

Think most of the changes would be in the motherboard hardware and support for more storage devices like nvme

If the Occulus works with current PC, I am not sure I would upgrade now and instead wait and see what happens this year.

RonGamer

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Oops. Yes, I upgraded my RAM from vacuum tubes ;)

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I'll wait then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you have a warehouse full of tubes as 16 mb would still be a lot.

I mean, this is 1 byte of ram from 1946
qIUb1.jpg
so just imagine 1024 of those just to get 1kb, and it soon gets crazy :)