Computer on all night and woke up to black screen with cursor

Lprox5

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I just completed my second build a couple of days ago (first gaming PC) and these are the specs (with Game Boost enabled): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZMKtkT

For the past couple of days I have been bringing it up to speed with Windows 10. Yesterday, I had the PC on all day downloading and installing games from Unity, Origin, and Steam as well as watching some anime on Plex through my 4K TV. I had no issues whatsoever during this time. I still had quite a bit of games to download and install on Steam, so I toggled the sleep and power settings in order to leave the computer on all night doing its thing. Before heading to work this morning I checked to see if everything had finished...well, when I turned on my TV I was presented with a black screen and cursor which I could move around. I tried doing CTRL+ALT+DEL and nothing worked, so I had to do a hard reset on the machine. When I loaded up Steam, I noticed that barely any of the games that were queued up had downloaded/installed. I didn't have time to check Event Viewer, as I would have been late for work.

Any ideas on this? Is it my hardware? Are there known issues with the hardware I have selected? Would overheating have caused this problem?

Lprox5

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Yes, I've installed all of my games to the Blue drive. The reason I went with the 5400 rpm over 7200 rpm because of the price and I couldn't find a 2tb version of the 7200 rpm. I looked at comparisons online between the two in regards to gaming and found no huge differences in using either. I finally played Doom 2016 last night and it ran perfectly on ultra settings on my 4K! Absolutely gorgeous! I do own 7200 rpm drives for my NAS, but I bought those for the type of use I'm getting out of them. Why do you suggest the 7200 over the 5400 for gaming?