I hate Windows

Openupitsdave

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 but I want to keep all the data stored on my secondary drive D:.

So I tried using the "Reset" wizard that comes with windows and im not sure if it's going to delete both drives or not. I did some googling on this topic and its SUPPOSED to ask me if I want to keep the files on my D drive as well, but it doesn't. The info I was looking up is for an older Windows 10 and doesnt apply to the newest version.

Try it yourself: Windows button > "Reset" > Get started.

It will ask you if you want to keep your files or remove everything, but no mention of specific drives.

Imagine all of the people who ran into this same situation as me and ended up deleted both thier drives instead of just their boot. <<Edited for content by moderator>> windows is getting super lame...

Solution
Reset only effects C drive, it won't touch any other drives - all it touches is the partition C is on.

If you want to do a clean install, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

remove that sata cable so hdd isn't attached
boot from installer and follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install and activate itself once connected to internet.

I could guess you had both drives attached when win 10 originally installed and win 10 decided to put boot sector on the hdd instead of on ssd (if ssd is 1st drive), It does that, reason why i said to remove...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reset only effects C drive, it won't touch any other drives - all it touches is the partition C is on.

If you want to do a clean install, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

remove that sata cable so hdd isn't attached
boot from installer and follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install and activate itself once connected to internet.

I could guess you had both drives attached when win 10 originally installed and win 10 decided to put boot sector on the hdd instead of on ssd (if ssd is 1st drive), It does that, reason why i said to remove cable so it can't.

Solution

Openupitsdave

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
There was only a partition on a boot drive....oh well...I went ahead and used media creation tool.

I think the Reset will actually wipe all drives....It says "drives" with an "s"....but they dont make it very clear which infuriates me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did a full reset (Remove everything) on my computer with one disk and two partitions. Everything on the C: partition was deleted and it was probably formatted but the D: partition stayed untouched.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1266840-windows-10-reset-this-pc-will-it-delete-files-on-another-partition/

Openupitsdave

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
I just tried it again just to see what would happen. NOW its giving me the correct options.....weird... I have no idea why... Something with the partitions maybe? My boot drive was partitioned before I wiped it... but I dont see why I would get different options still.

Sorry about the old windows misinfo! Maybe I was the one with the older version?? Strange either way

Colif

Win 11 Master

It might have been a bug with the install you had. If your install had been an upgrade from win 7 or 8 and you had not clean installed win 10 before, its likely the function wasn't working right. Clean install allowed functions to work on my PC I didn't know I was missing.