6600K thermal throttling at 65 C

yurimodin

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Ok I'm running an i5-6600K with a Rajintek Aidos(similar to hyper212), MSI z170m mortar. I was running at 4.2Ghz on stock voltage just fine but I was getting stutters in gta5 at some points and found I was maxing CPU so I wanted to push my OC a little more.

I ended up being able to run 4.5@1.2v and 4.6@1.25v Here is where it gets wierd. I completely disabled intel turbo boost and intel scaling so it runs flat out all the time. I am using CPUIDHWmonitor and Intel burn test. While running the burn test my hottest core gets to about 65C which is expected but then it throttles down to 3.8Ghz....WTH I am only at 65C.

I know I shouldnt but just to test I disabled the Intel Thermal protection scaling in the bios and it still does it?????

So am I missing something or is my HWmonitor giving me too low of a temp when its actually higher?

I went back to 4.5 just for now to play it safe.

Burn-in test barely gets my 6700k above 50% utilization.
Is it throttling or just dropping the multiplier? Dropping the multiplier just means the PC doesn't need the power, so it doesn't use it.

Pretty sure that even with the settings you have selected, the chip still drops down multipliers depending on load.

Again, i do not believe that you are encountering a thermal throttle. Nor would this be the way to determine it.

yurimodin

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
I have been googling.....I think I might be hitting the amperage draw limit in the bios. I will check when I get home tonight. BTW I am using an evga 750w PSU so I should have plenty of juice.

yurimodin

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
yup I think it was the current draw limits.....turned em up and she does not miss a beat. I am at 4.5GHZ at 1.275v and thats good enough for me.