Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Watch Dogs 2

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
General Info on How To Enter

• ■ These giveaways now span 2 full weeks instead of 1. This means there's more time for you to enter!
    ■ There are now two ways to enter to win! Each person can only win once.

• 1. Enter the raffle via the gleam widget. All we ask for there is a name and a contact email. There will only ever be 1 copy of the game up for grabs with this method.

2. Take part in the discussion in this thread! A discussion prompt will be provided each time. Just answer the prompt to be eligible to win! Eligible participants will be randomly selected to receive a copy of the game.
[widget="https://gleam.io/NdquU/toms-hardware-steam-giveaway-watch-dogs-2", 600][/widget]

With a new year comes a brand new Steam giveaway, and up for grabs this time are three (3) copies of Watch Dogs 2. Hack and fight your way through Ubisoft's anticipated sequel to their 2014 open world action-adventure third-person shooter.

And now, for the discussion prompt:

What's the best hack, cheat, or code in a video game? What's your favorite one from yesteryear?

The Steam Giveaway will run until 12 p.m. EDT on Friday, January 13. The game will be awarded to the winners as a Steam gift. A Steam account is required to receive the prize and play the game.

glez13

Reputable
May 19, 2015
The only one I can think of ever using is the old Konami code. Most of those old arcade-style games were almost impossible to finish casually without it.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
Definitely the code to remove all stars in any of the Grand theft Auto games. It can make for a ton of fun when you can constantly be a destructive as you want with no repercussions.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
I've heard this iteration being a lot better than the original, so I'll put my hat in the ring.

IDDQD
IDKFA

and

dncornholio

Coz I used to (Ha! like that changed) suck at FPS.

Dom_79

Distinguished
Currently I'd say the best "cheat-code/hacks" are console commands in Fallout 4 :lol: and this command line argument for Dishonored 2 : +com_showLoadingScreen 0. Really impressed with the game, congrats to all the companies that had a finger in it, I don't want to watch your logos for 3 minutes every time I start the game ;)

From "yester-year" my favorite cheats would be the ones in the Mechwarrior series. "inmybeautifulballoon" (jumjets on Mechs with no jumpjets) "mightymouse" (infinite jumpjets) ", "coldmiser/burr" (no heat tracking), "cia" (infinite ammo). There were a bunch more and some useful ones for freecams and interesting level events (like nukes ;) )

Nice to see that the old "Super Contra" code and IDDQD and IDKFA are already listed. Using the Id codes in other games often results in some funny results. Mechwarrior will tell you "This ain't DOOM, boy!" :lol:

Didn't anyone else ever use the command line argument "/goobers" on Wolfenstein3D? and then press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Tab" to turn on console/debug commands? LOL

Also, don't know if it counts but I spent countless hours in the editors for Master of Magic, Civilisation and X-Wing. But maybe those don't count as cheats/hacks ;)

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
engry birds epic. theere are players that are cheating and have heros with very good power.within the game, those that are connected with the cheaters can use the cheaters heros. so, i was able to very easely progress in the game with little effort

i would initially go with others and the Contra gamepad cheat. but thinking back to those days and my Game Genie, i would have to go with the Game Genie options as my favorite and the best.
now we have a similar option for some PC games, Cheat Engine. software that allows you to record game data and enter/alter the game's information for character editing and other "cheat" options.

i try to avoid cheating through or reading walkthroughs with any games anymore, unless it's to fix a bug or correct a slight annoyance. i'd rather enjoy the story the way the writer/developer intended most times now. it may be a fun experience starting an RPG with 100,000 credits and @ level 30 but it ruins a lot of the character progression in those types of games and takes away a lot of the intended experience for me.
and cheating in MP matches is just stupid with any game.

uniquemafia

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I loved the cheat code "CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG" from GTA: San Andreas! Last year I didn't use any cheat codes but a few trainers. I love the trainers made by Fling! Love his work.

haftaswim

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
GOD in the original Commander Keen trilogy was a fun one, but of course I'm partial to a few others -

IDSPISPOPD from Doom for noclip
ALIFALAFEL from Descent II for all accessories
HONESTBOB from Descent II for all weapons.

Many seem to post the famous "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A" Contra cheat. (its first B then A).
This also worked in Probotector in Gameboy and SNES. But it could help you choose which stage you will start. For 9 lives like Contra, you would need "up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down, left, left, left, left, right, right, right, right".

Since I like more the funny cheats, I would say the cheat "CMGARAGE" from TOCA Touring Car, which would allow you to race against others with a... tank. Instead of horn, you could blast the opponents. :p

Honorable mention to "pow" in Age of Empires, which you could summon a baby with a minigun and to easter eggs from Larry 7.

ultraglorious

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Maybe this doesn't count but, my favourite hack-type-thing in a game was exploring the outer areas the maps that you weren't supposed to get to in the Halo series. In particular, a highlight was jumping across rooftops in the 2nd level of Halo 2.

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Oh geez, do I have to pick one?

Big head mode for Goldeneye 007
Turning Banjo-Kazooie into a washer
Debug for Genesis-era Sonic games
'Show me the Money' (10k gas/min) + 'Power Overwhelming' (invincible) on Starcraft 1

These were all fun in their own regard, but you know what really takes the cake?

Missingno./Old man glitch from Pokemon Red/Blue, because who doesn't want 127 Master Balls or Rare Candies? Just don't wreak your save.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

The best part of this cheat or hack, whichever you prefer to call it, was the challenge of achieving it, that is the challenge posed to a child. I don't know how older folk fared, but when I successfully got Missing No. and all those master balls and rare candies I felt so proud. If I remember correctly, the cheat was only available near the end of the game anyways. You didn't miss out on the challenge of leveling out your pokemon by using this hack.

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
I don't really use hacks anymore but there's a couple of save editors I used to use for games like Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance 2. In fact I still use JAPE whenever I play JA2 so I don't have to mess with the stupid questionnaire at the beginning of the game. And I used a Baldurs gate Editor just so I could quickly finish the main story after spending almost a year on it. Also FALCHE; the Fallout Character Editor. And FALCHE2.

From way back in the day I remember 2:

ABBA "Start" for Ikari Warriors. That gave you unlimited continuations and I'm pretty sure there was no real end to the game; my NES PSU almost burst into flames using this code.

I also remember ABBACAB for Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis. This code let you choose from a list of cheats like extra money or skill points. I remember it also worked in the WinGen emulator ROM.