Am I stuck on Windows 10 forever?

Ziphoe

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Hi forum,

I was recently forced to fully wipe my hard-drive, and the only way I was able to get an operating system back on it was to use a Windows 10 disk I had lying around which I never intended on using as I dislike Windows 10. Luckily a few days later I was able to conjure a way to get Windows 7 back on my PC, or so I thought.. Upon trying to install Windows 7, I was essentially informed my PC is incompatible as I'm on an already higher version of Windows.

I literally hate Windows 10 with a passion, I basically can't play any of my old-school games now and my newer games all have resolution problems that never occurred in Windows 7. I'm pulling my hair out over this and I'd really appreciate it if someone knew of a way for me to get Windows 7 back on my PC, thanks!

Solution
Shortly new motherboards won't support Win 7 at all so your choice of upgrades that still let you use win 7 is getting smaller.

Win 10 felt like Win 7 to me after a week of using it, there are only a few visual signs that make it obvious its not 7.

win 10 didn't set any scaling on my PC at first, which i have set up since as seeing icons at 4k is a stretch and reading text even more so.
Windows 10 is a fantastic operating system and trying to go back is really not in your best interest.

Your best bet is to figure out what you don't like about windows 10, why you don't like it, and fixing it!

What are your problems with windows 10?

xDeuiii

Reputable
Mar 1, 2016
I would suggest wipe out your hard drive again and re-install Windows 7 again. Since there are no OS already installed after HDD is wiped, you should not re-encounter this problem.

the only way to go back to an older version of windows would be to do a clean install. you cannot downgrade back to windows 7 by using the upgrade or repair options.

but like others have said. it is starting to get harder finding compatible hardware and software for windows 7 so you will have to go back to it eventually and by then you may have to buy it again

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't think of many games that would run in Windows 7 that wouldn't run in Windows 10. Very similar OS at the core.

You weren't running Windows 7 32bit were you?

If you've just done a fresh install, have you picked up the latest drivers for everything from their respective manufacturer's? Like with any OS, the default drivers may not be adequate for 100% compatibility or features. Getting your graphics and monitor drivers configured properly can help a lot when it comes to resolution and scaling.

Also make sure that scaling isn't turned on by default, a common, but simple, problem with Windows. It tries to guess what would be best visually, when more often than not, people are used to no scaling at all and can deal with small icons and fonts on their monitor of choice.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Shortly new motherboards won't support Win 7 at all so your choice of upgrades that still let you use win 7 is getting smaller.

Win 10 felt like Win 7 to me after a week of using it, there are only a few visual signs that make it obvious its not 7.

win 10 didn't set any scaling on my PC at first, which i have set up since as seeing icons at 4k is a stretch and reading text even more so.

Solution
I have to agree that Windows 10 is absolutely the best OS that exists today and going "back" to Windows 7 is really a big backward step. That said, if that is the same computer and you have your original installation media and license code for Windows 7, then it is very easy to go back to Windows 7. But...

If it were my computer I would do a clean install of Windows 10 and then install all the proper drivers. You will be amazed at how good Windows 10 is compared to Windows 7, it is night and day.