Moving Windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD?

Mah-Dry-Bread

Reputable
May 6, 2014
I've been hunting around online forever but can't seem to find an answer for my specific question.

So I've got Windows 10 anniversary installed on my main drive but have been thinking of switching to my SSD for a long time. At the same time, I feel like I really need a clean install because I've had nothing but bugs and glitches around my permissions mostly since upgrading from Windows 10 to the anniversary patch.

I originally got Windows 10 through a Windows 7 update back when it was free, so I do not have a Windows 10 disk.

So basically I want to clean install my Windows 10 on my new SSD, but I don't know how. The SSD is already in my computer and I use it for games and video editing programs. Could someone help me?

Solution

Yes. Disconnecting them for the install process isolates them from inadvertently becoming the boot drive. Upon reconnecting them Windows will see them and think nothing of adding them back into your list of accessible drives...

Firecheetah13

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
I recommend backing your important files on your HDD and wiping the whole drive. Once you get a new key and installation media, plug that in and change in the boot sequence in your BIOS and reboot the computer. Continue with the installation process of Windows until it comes up with the list to choose which device you want Windows to be installed on. Choose your SSD, and finish the installation process. Finally, reboot and put all your files back on your HDD. Just buy installation media w/ a Windows 10 key on www.kinguin.net for cheap.

Since you have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, a clean install is probably easier than you think.

1) Make sure Windows is linked to a Microsoft Account. (REMEMBER that account and password)
2) Use this link to download windows 10 (No worries, it's straight from Microsoft)
3) Either create an ISO image (optical drive) or create a bootable USB Thumb-Drive with their utility.
4) Wipe the drive you want to install Windows on (preferably after moving anything you want to keep off of it).
5) Disconnect all other drives (other than optical) and install Windows
6) Log into your Microsoft account, and that should activate the install.
7) Shut down and reconnect the other drives
8) Restart. You're done.

Mah-Dry-Bread

Reputable
May 6, 2014

When you say "Disconnect all other drives" do you mean that I should unplug every HDD and SSD I have other than the one I'm installing Windows to? Is that a precautions to make sure it installs to the correct one? Also will that in any way affect my other drives? I actually have 4 drives. I do YouTube for a living, so I have a lot of storage space.

Kinguin IS NOT A LEGIT/REPUTABLE RESELLER. They allow others to sell, and your protection is only an "insurance policy" you purchase and that they may not even honor, if they even acknowledge you had an issue with an illegally sold key. To purchase from them is to sit on a time-bomb for "pirated copy" warnings and potential legal action against the purchaser, especially with how much data gets sent back to MS with Win10.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Please avoid making this type of advice here.

First off he already has a Windows license why would he buy one? Win 10 upgrade is tied to a users Microsoft account and can be reinstalled on the same hardware or transferred to a new system

Secondly kinguin is not an authorized seller of Windows keys, and we have had MANY users run into issues with their keys. Theres an old saying "you get what you pay for".

Mah-Dry-Bread

Reputable
May 6, 2014
It's alright, I could tell that guy's link was sketchy and that it wouldn't make sense to re-buy Windows. I just need a bit of clarification.

When you say "Disconnect all other drives" Shrapnel_indie, do you mean that I should unplug every HDD and SSD I have other than the one I'm installing Windows to? Is that a precautions to make sure it installs to the correct one? Also will that in any way affect my other drives? I actually have 4 drives. I do YouTube for a living, so I have a lot of storage space.

Yes. Disconnecting them for the install process isolates them from inadvertently becoming the boot drive. Upon reconnecting them Windows will see them and think nothing of adding them back into your list of accessible drives, folders, and files, with everything intact. In fact, you have a great example case here of why I'd recommend data files on a separate partition or drive than the one you boot from. Less back-up work for such things as clean installs. Of course, and especially, when you have data you can't afford to lose, routine backups are a good thing anyway.

Solution

armyzoff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I used a program called Paragon Migrate OS to SSD™ 5.0 to move my existing OS from HHD to SSD, swapped out the drives, its like it never happened.