Seemingly random BSOD (Machine Check Exception)

Dokun

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Putting a build together for a friend, and after installing windows and attempting to run Windows 10 Updates, I receive a BSOD, Stop Code Machine Check Exception. I am at a complete loss as to what could be causing this.

The closest I can get to remedying it is taking out the CMOS battery which solves the problem for about 15 minutes tops. I've reinstalled windows countless times and the BSOD has even come up before reaching windows/any installation prompt, which makes me near certain that a part is failing to operate correctly for an extended period of time. After the effects of the CMOS reset wears out, it will BSOD almost without fail upon restart.

Has anyone had any similar symptoms that could be the cause? Or any words of advice? It's extremely hard for me to extract logs from the machine after it resets once, but once I'm able to I'll try and edit with a pic of the logs or the file itself. Thank you for your help!

Update 1: Can't access logs for the life of me, or even any safe mode options. Only got this installation to boot once successfully after the very first boot. Trying to reset with CMOS to reach logs.

Solution
bugcheck 0x124
it is common to get this bugcheck if your
- CPU fan is not spinning up. CPU overheats
- you forget to connect one of the CPU power connectors
- you forget to connect one of the GPU supplemental power connectors.

- your power supply, is a modular PSU and one of the above connections is not firmly plugged into the PSU.
- sometimes one of the leads to the connector can get pushed out of the plastic holder.

Problems with overclocking software and out dated BIOS versions.
some motherboards might ship with a 6 month old BIOS, when you install a newly released CPU the BIOS will not apply the correct voltage. The result is BIOS applies too much voltage just like a bad overclock. generally, it takes longer than 5 minutes to...
bugcheck 0x124
it is common to get this bugcheck if your
- CPU fan is not spinning up. CPU overheats
- you forget to connect one of the CPU power connectors
- you forget to connect one of the GPU supplemental power connectors.

- your power supply, is a modular PSU and one of the above connections is not firmly plugged into the PSU.
- sometimes one of the leads to the connector can get pushed out of the plastic holder.

Problems with overclocking software and out dated BIOS versions.
some motherboards might ship with a 6 month old BIOS, when you install a newly released CPU the BIOS will not apply the correct voltage. The result is BIOS applies too much voltage just like a bad overclock. generally, it takes longer than 5 minutes to bugcheck in this case.

Solution

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
To summarize, system is functioning fine while Windows was being installed, and this took maybe about half an hour? But after that, it constantly BSOD. I think that's hardware. Check memory settings and run memory test if possible. I think the boot menu has some memory test option.

I don't think event logs would really be much use with so fast BSOD right after install.