pc freezing need help

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013
My pc freezes completely and forces manual restart. this is completely random and happens at anytime that I am in windows.

recently the freezes have become more and more common.

I have to manually press power button to restart the pc. Ive noticed after i restart it, all my programs load slightly slower than usual. Also I hear the sound on windows as if ive plugged a usb device in.

please aid me in which tests i should do in order to solve this issue

edit: freezes happen rarely (once a week) but recently started happening every other day

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
PC Specs, OS?
Only in games?
If yes try to stress your PC with some kind of stress tests and see if problem exists (OCCT for example.)

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

windows 10
gtx 760
8gb ram
core i5 @ 3.4ghz

the thing is i dont think its to do with stress, I run skyrim at pretty high quality with gpu temps of 75-80 and it doesnt freeze at all. but when im playing the game i mentioned (league of legends) the temps are about 50-60 because it is not as demanding but i get freezes.

what im thinking is bad memory/ faulty psu

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
U can do MemTest86(Bootable USB) and OCCT PSU test but i dont think that it would solve the issue.
If problem appears only in league of legends it looks like the game itself is guilty :)

With LoL try to:
Run as Administrator
Compability mode with win7
NetFramework Update
LoL reinstall

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

the thing is tho that i play lol most of the time.

before this i used to get blue screen (whea uncontrollable error) and this would happen randomly. even when idle

do u think i should update my bios? i have like 4 stability updates that i havent done since i have the stock version

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
You can update your BIOS but dont expect that it will solve the problem ;)
And .. Uncle microsoft says that doin windows updates may fix your earlier problem (whea uncontrollable error)

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

on the topic of that, my computer has been trying to do windows update 1607 for the past 2 months but no matter what i try it cannot do it

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013
the freeze happened today when i was trying to update windows10 to latest version. this leads me to believe the pc freezes are to do with windows 10.

maybe everytime the system tries to update windows it freezes?

do i need to install a clean version of windows 10?

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

I have updated windows to the latest version but unfortunately the computer still froze. this time it was when i was idle.

it also froze twice in the same day for the first time.

i am going to run a boot time virus scan, memtest and then if they are both ok then i will clean install windows 10 and get back to you.

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

I ran antivirus but still froze.

i did cpu gpu and psu stress tests for about 10 mins each and there were no problems, the temps were fine. which means its not an overheating issue.

this leaves me to software/drivers.. or bad motherboard/ram.

i will run memtest tonight to see if it is the ram. if it is not the ram i will do a bios update.

i checked my motherboard company and they didnt say the board was compatible with windows 10.. but i dont think this is the issue because for most of the times that i had windows 10 my computer was fine.. however im scared doing a bios update in windows 10 incase something goes wrong.

anyway.. if ram is ok then i will clean reset windows 10.. if that doesnt work then i will reset to windows 8 and do bios update... if that doesnt work then it is most likely faulty motherboard/ psu

im not too sure if it is a faulty psu tho (shouldnt faulty psus cause the computer to completely shut down instead of freeze?)

also my freezes are random which means that it is independent to psu workload

the inside of my case is fairly dusty. do u think cleaning it/ reseating components will do anything about this problem. the only reason i havent done this yet is because usually you reseat if the component doesnt work at all and usually dust only affects temps.. not instability issues

also i forgot to mention... it says my cpu is 3.4ghz but i have an automatic overclock software which pushes it up to ~4.2ghz when needed, (cpu voltage doesnt go higher than 1.2v tho) however ive had this since i bought my pc so the freezing is not a result of this

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

ram is fine... gonna see if i freeze again. if i do then i clean reset windows 10