How to access bios

fofojo

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
I changed the initiate graphic adapter from peg to igp and now my computer skips the boot and my resolution was messed up also I cant put my computer to sleep. I managed to fix the resolution but how do I access my bios?

Solution
Not sure why I didn't think of this before

go to settings/update & security/recovery and on the right hand side under Advanced start up, click restaret now
this loads advanced start up
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware settings - this should load you into the UEFI (or BIOS as you call it)

if that doesn't work, or the choice isn't there, have a look at

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqW2-mTgbqI&index=7&list=FLQTjAhxSptSza8hK6P-nXaA"][/video]

sorry, didn't really need specs...

Colif

Win 11 Master
More information would help, what are the specs of the PC?

Is it a laptop or desktop?

If laptop, what make/model?

If desktop, is it custom made or Brand name? If brand name, what Make/model? If Custom, what motherboard?

fofojo

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

its a custom built pc.

the motherboard is a msi z97 gaming 5

the graphics card is a msi r9 390x

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not sure why I didn't think of this before

go to settings/update & security/recovery and on the right hand side under Advanced start up, click restaret now
this loads advanced start up
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware settings - this should load you into the UEFI (or BIOS as you call it)

if that doesn't work, or the choice isn't there, have a look at

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqW2-mTgbqI&index=7&list=FLQTjAhxSptSza8hK6P-nXaA"][/video]

sorry, didn't really need specs...

Solution

fofojo

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

I just remembered I disabled the onboard graphics in my device manager theres a time frame during the boot where its just black where the bios should be so it might just be that I cant see it

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why did you set Bios to igp if you have a GPU? is monitor still plugged into igp? I assume not if you have it disabled in Windows?

if monitor plugged into gpu, and bios set to igp, I can see why its blank then. Bios would be showing on the igp connection, you would need to plug screen into it to see bios.

fofojo

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

I was trying to get my monitor to work. I use a tv and I got a monitor from a friend but it doesnt work properly

Colif

Win 11 Master
ah, so you attached friends monitor to igp and left gpu plugged into tv?? tried plugging tv into igp or does it lack connectors needed?

You could reset cmos, that should let you into bios and also reset its defaults to PEG... i think (I know resetting cmos usually makes PC load bios screen but it could make things worse and not show anything and leave PC unable to boot.)

Don't suppose friend has a working monitor you can use?

I will add a few tags to post and maybe someone confirm what I said here before you try it :)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Why not take the dedicated gpu,the r9 390X,out and see if you can get into the bios that way? It should revert to the igp in this way.

What doesn't work properly?