200MB/s Slower SSD On windows 10

Nolster

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I recently had windows 7 on my new SSD and would get 500MB/s write speeds, I've upgraded to Windows 10 by doing a completely clean installation and i'm only getting around 300MB/s. To make sure nothing changed I installed Ubuntu, and it got 500MB/s as well. I'm sure its Windows 10, and I'm my SSD is installed correctly, I've tried a couple fixes for Windows 10 being atrociously slow, but that's not my issue, and it fixed nothing. This issue isn't entirely a big deal, but I paid full price, and would love to have the extra 200MB/s.

Specs are :

Intel I7-2729QM 2.20GHz
6gb ram
SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III

Help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
Good point. Did you install Magician?? If you did does it say AHCI is activated?

I would also check and see what sata drivers you need.

Get the later version off the Intel site (it may have an inf file in it - well thats what I used). An F6 setup file download

When you get the update load it through the entry in device manager. Under IDE ATA

Nolster

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Specs are in OP, and yes it is a laptop.

Octocore I7-2720QM 2.20GHz
6 GB ddr3 ram
Samsung 850 Evo SSD
2 GPUs -
Intel HD graphics 3000
Nvidia GeForce GT 540m

Idk what else to add.

Nolster

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Yes, I'm almost positive. I get over the max r/w speeds of sata 2. I did get a new motherboard, but still should have SATA 3

AS long as you dont have the erpformance of previous windows on that notebook and nothing has changed in hardware then the windows drivers are crap. I m experiencing same thing on my notebook (asus x55a) i have a 120gb ssd on it, on windows 7 and 8.1 is blazing fast (boot in 10-13s) but on windows 10 the boot process is attrocious slow ( around 1 min). In every benchmark i got same performance as previous windowses but they not acting the same( on windows 10 slow program lunch, slow boot, slow overall). Windows 10 is an unoptimized piece of crap, using it on my main pc only for dx12 and gaming. The afstest windows i ever experienced was windows 8.1. Try to install win 10 specific drivers if that doesnt work then go back at the best performing windows you had.

Nolster

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Well that's a sad truth, is it not possible to install old windows drivers?

Good point. Did you install Magician?? If you did does it say AHCI is activated?

I would also check and see what sata drivers you need.

Get the later version off the Intel site (it may have an inf file in it - well thats what I used). An F6 setup file download

When you get the update load it through the entry in device manager. Under IDE ATA

Solution

Nolster

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

I do have magician, and it does say AHCI is active. My SATA driver is "Standard SATA AHCI Controller", I looked up the hardware id, and its intel based. Although the driver is from Microsoft. I downloaded Intel's driver scanner and it didn't find it, and I downloaded Intel Rapid Storage Tech. and I got the raw driver files but windows refuses to take them. I have a pretty good feeling that this is the culprit, I might take a leap of faith and install one of the intel drivers for the unsupported drivers list.

Did the file you downloaded have an inf file in it?

And did you add it through the above / driver / update driver tab?

You have to select browse after this, then let me pick, then have disk. Then go to the folder with the inf file in it

I think this laptop uses Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller. (This may appear in device manager now under IDE/ATA / properties)

Hmm the drivers maybe here

Go down to Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller with the date 7/4/2014. Download / extract.

Go to device manager above. Then select either 32 or 64 bit load the inf file. Then reboot.

It MAY work. But if Magician says AHCI isnt activated, it maybe the wrong version

Nolster

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I reran Intel scanner, and it found an update for my chipset! I had to run the driver installer a couple times before it stuck for some reason, I still can't get the latest but I do have 470MB/s R/W speeds!

Problem solved.

Thank you very much Paul NZ.

Axle_V

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
I had the same problem with ssd.I just simply leave it as it was installed driver booster to update every driver in my laptop after few days it started working like a charm I don't know if drivers solved the problem so I can't say for sure.

Axle_V

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

thats odd since 2014 till now I don't have any problem at all.If you tried cracked version seems obvious but I have bought it and I don't have a problem at all.