BSOD after windows 10 update that possibly self corrected?

Diracs_method

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi,

I recently built my own PC for the first time(https://pcpartpicker.com/list/svwdM8). I had it up and running last night with no issues so I started a Windows 10 update. This morning I woke up and saw an error saying I was missing a file "msvcp120.dll". I tried to fix it by reinstalling C++ redistributable 2013. When I re started the system I went straight to the BSOD with a "machine check exception". Every time I tried to boot this morning, I got that error.

When I got home from work I attempted to boot again and my PC froze at that point where you can press del to enter the BIOS or f11 for the boot menu. It did this 2 more times before I got into the BIOS. In the BIOS I just reset defaults and noticed an error code on my Mobo for "CPU early initialization". I saved the changes and this time forced boot to my windows drive (the m.2 SSD).

While it was booting it made it past that freeze point and the screen started flickering quite a bit while it was attempting a repair. To my surprise it somehow worked, but restored my system to just after I first booted it (no driver's, browsers, or anything). This seems weird to me because I hadn't preformed a backup or set my first restore point prior.

I looked at my event log, but I'll admit I don't understand what I'm seeing. I did notice in the log that the time stamps run all day yesterday until ~3am when the update finished and my computer went to sleep but skip the morning stuff and start again when I got home from work.

My question is, what did I do to cause this to happen, and should I be worried that my hardware is faulty? I hadn't seen anything funny since it started working again, but I haven't done any testing (mostly because I don't know how or what to test). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Machine Check Exception is a hardware error, and usually CPU related. Did you update BIOS on board? 1st paragrpah makes me think CPU is to blame. Can you run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Machine Check Exception is a hardware error, and usually CPU related. Did you update BIOS on board? 1st paragrpah makes me think CPU is to blame. Can you run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Solution

Diracs_method

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

So I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and passed, good thing. I followed the steps in step one like you asked and at the end no minidump file was created in the windows folder. Does it only make a folder on my next BSOD or is it supposed to report the one that already happened? I am happy to report that I haven't had another BSOD since the computer restored its self. I even used the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to stress test my CPU and memory and everything was fine, temps stayed under 45c.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if I had been more awake when i first answered I would have realised that cause you did a system restore, the dump files are blank.

Since Intel thing found no errors, its possible the MCE you got was caused by drivers that have since been removed due to the System restore rolling system back to before they were installed

So really, all you can do is wait and see if you get another one. It may never happen again, as you may have different drivers installed now that won't cause it.

Diracs_method

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Everything seems to be running ok now, thanks.