Disk usage spikes to 100% when opening programs (with no lag)

haofeng93

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Hi all!

First allow me to apologise because I know this problem has been raised many times before, but I am currently having problems with my disk usage spiking to 100% when opening programs or occasionally whilst idle. However, my problem differs from most others which I will explain.

I recently purchased an All-in-one and I had problems from the off. It was a return so it was sold cheaper (by a reputable company) and when it came out the box it had obviously been used before as no setup ran. The computer lagged and crashed frequently and kept bringing up BIOS errors. I managed to fix it all by installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 from a USB, which made the computer run perfectly. However, I have noticed that disk usage will spike suddenly when opening programs, and occasionally, CPU usage jumps up too. However, there is absolutely not lag at all. I can play highly intensive games during the spikes and it runs like nothing has happened - almost as if the disk usage figure is wrong.
I suspected the HDD might be damaged or faulty so I ran a bunch of diagnostic programs including the manufacturer's own - all came back fine, even intensive sector-by-sector checks. Would this tend to mean the HDD is healthy, or are there some issues these diagnostic programs can't detect?

Obviously, I can return the computer but it's a lot of trouble for me to do so. Considering it now runs flawlessly, I'm really at a loss about what the disk usage spiking is due to. And FYI, I have updated all my drivers and applied all Windows 10 updates.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Hi there haofeng93,

So your system runs just fine right?

I believe it is not that unusual to have high disk usage for a while, when you start a program or a game.
Taking into consideration the HDD is in a healthy state (I assume that as multiple tools have reported that), then I believe you can take a look at the different causes of 100 % disk usage in win 10. There are many threads on that. Yet, most of these are about constant 100% disk usage. The high disk usage in your case looks normal.

Let me know you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

haofeng93

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Thanks for your speedy reply!

I had wondered what the normal level of disk usage is but I couldn't find any information online. I think what you said makes sense, but I am a little concerned since it tends to jump all the way to 100% whenever the HDD is doing something other than being idle (as in copying files, installing files, etc.) I understand the disk usage will no doubt raise during these processes, but is it normal for it to raise to 100% even on relatively simple tasks such as installing programs or unzipping documents?