How to dual boot from two sepoarate drives where Windows 10 and Windows 7 were previously installed separately.

mikech

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
I built a new state of the art computer. I then purchased a license for Windows 10 home edition and installed it for the new computer. Everything works fine.

Then I installed the old Windows 7 boot disk and data disk from the old Windows 7 computer into the new Windows 10 machine. Everything still works fine.

Now that I know there will be no hardware issues I want to choose which boot disk to boot from, the Windows 10 or Windows 7. Is this even possible??

I could of course just leave the back cover off and unplug the Windows 10 boot drive but I don't want to have to do that. Perhaps there are some magic commands that can make the boot process recognize both drives as potential boot drives and give me a choice??

I understand the normal way to create dual boot, where you install another OS after the primary. But this situation is somewhat different.

By the way I have read the other posts that are similar to this but none of those solutions work for me. I know how to do this in any given instance by selecting the bios boot menu during boot up.

But that's not what I am looking for. I will be turning this computer over to a novice. I want a dual boot menu to come up automatically during every boot without having to buy external software for Windows 10.

mikech

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

That makes sense and that is certainly how I would do it in Linux using Grub. My problem is that I do not know how to do that in Windows.

OOPS! You must have been typing when I responded. I see the link now. Thank you!

Only tricky part: the win 10 boot loader must be the default. Your Win 7 loader doesn't know how to start Win 10 and fails, even if you add the entry.

mikech

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Thanks!

I am finding out that as usual, Microsoft's documentation is extremely inadequate. I would never risk messing with the boot sector based on the woefully inadequate information, however I found more detailed information at Superuser now that, (thanks to you), I know what I am looking for. I will try to do it this weekend and report back what worked for anyone else in similar circumstances.