What do you guys (and girls) think about this Mini ITX build?

iLeblanc

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
This is simple, I have $2000 and wanna build a good, upgradeable Mini ITX gaming PC.

These are the parts I think I want for my build, what can you say about it? Is it ok or should I change something? Those are about $1500, I can't spend more than that.

PS: Regarding the GPU, I know I can get a better one like a GTX 1080 but I wanna save some money for some other things I need.

CASE: BitFenix Mini-ITX Tower Midnight Black (BFC-PRO-300-KKXSK-RP)
MOBO: MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k
GPU: MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI GAMING 4G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 C16 (2x8Gb)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB (ST3000DM001)
SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (MZ-75E250B)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
What's your reason behind a Mini ITX build? Is space really that important? I liked the idea of a mini-itx build until I realized how cramped it was in a SFF case, working on them and making sure everything fits and fits well isn't the easiest thing but possible. If you have room go with a bigger build(ATX or Micro ATX). Also, why are you going with a GTX1050? I'd opt for a 1060 or 1070 at the minimum. I would also skip out on the 3TB drive, I don't like any extra mechanical stuff in my machines adding heat but I do understand needing the storage space, that being said I would just run a 500 gig SSD and then eventually add in more storage later. I like just about everything else.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Thoughts on your build:

- The 1050 ti is a good card if your budget is only a few hundred. Get something better.
- For gaming, an i7 is largely unnecessary. You will get much better performance by putting that extra money towards a faster GPU.
- From what I've heard those Seagate 3TB drives, while cheap, are very unreliable. I would not recommend buying them.
- What's with the expensive motherboard? The case you picked doesn't appear to even have a window so the aesthetics are useless. Is there a specific feature the motherboard has that you are looking for?
- The GTX 1080 (not what you picked but lets assumed you upgraded) and the 7700k have a combined TDP of 271w. What do you need an 850w power supply for?

Some people just want smaller computers and don't need the extra drive bays or expansion slots. It might be a bit harder to put together, but does that really matter?

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Yes it matters. When you're putting it together and a heatsink or video card doesn't fit it becomes a problem. Wire management is also usually poor which results in poor airflow and makes maintenance more tedious. You're left with a lot less space for potential upgrades, heat is one of the biggest issues that will have an impact on your performance, with everything being cramped together heatsoak from one component to another is something to think about.

So long story short, if you have the space for a larger case/board then it's in your best interest to opt for the larger case/board if performance, future proofing and compatibility are things you care about.