Black screen on laptop but can use external monitor

wadlinwilly

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
I've been having this strange issue on and off with my laptop where when I boot up my laptop the backlight comes on but I can only see an image through an external monitor. It started a couple months ago and randomly would sometimes fix itself (rarely when I turned on my laptop it would work fine). Most of the time it wouldn't work and I'd have to plug my laptop into a TV to use it. A couple weeks ago my computer had been having this issue for weeks straight and I thought my laptop was gonzo. Anyways, it did an automatic update and after restarting it magically was working fine once again. After this update my laptop would work 100% of the time after turning it on and off. Now, a couple days ago I accidently knocked by laptop over about 6 inches onto carpet (it was a very soft impact) and the battery fell out so the computer turned off. I didn't think anything of the impact because it was minimal, however when I turned my laptop back on the screen once again would only work through an external monitor. I have tried doing the same automatic update, system restore, nothing seems to work now. It's quite frustrating because it makes no sense to me how this issue can randomly fix itself and then randomly happen again

wadlinwilly

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
update, I just tried turning my laptop on several times and I was getting flashing, choppy images during startup but once laptop booted up the images would cut out and I was once again stuck with black screen

ImZakP

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
I had an issue simmalar to that, other way around though have you tried updating your vga drivers and all that from their website? That fixed my issue, sorry I can't be more help than that.