Upgrading 8 year old system, want 1440p if possible (Gpu/monitor options)

csbassplayer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hello All,

I am wanting to do a new system build. My current system is almost 8 years old (i5 Lynnfield, AMD 5770).
In short, the newest game I've been playing is Diablo 3, so I've been missing out due to hardware on pretty much all of the newer games (Doom, Overwatch, BF1, etc...).

I build my systems to last a long time because I don't have the money for chasing the bleeding edge or buying a new one every few years. When I build systems it is with money that could honestly be used elsewhere. With my builds I don't mind spending a few bucks for a higher quality part if that is going to justifiably make it last longer or up the performance, but budget IS a concern. BTW a few bucks more is like $20-30 to me.

Currently I have 2 carry over items from this computer. A 24 in Ben-Q 1080p60 monitor (TN) I bought 2 years ago, and a 500gig Samsung HDD (SATA) for bulk storage. I also have an OS already.

I watched the CES 2017 new to see what new AMD stuff would be out there. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed that the message was still "hurry up and wait another 6 months".

So here is my build thus far:

Intel i7 6700k(if the 7700k is only a few bucks more, ill spring for it).
Corsair 600C case (ill get the 460x/570x if they go on sale, I like the styling)
Corsair Vengeance LED(Blue) 2x8gig, 3200 DDR4 (or might get the new Trident Z RGB if the price is the same)
Corsair Rm750i Gold PSU (open to alternatives in similar quality bracket if they are cheaper).
Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500gig)
Cooler master Hyper 212 LED
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare (or if they have a Z270 version for the 7700k ill get that)

The part I need help with is the GPU/monitor (which ill obviously depend on the GPU).

I prefer AMD due to the price, but right now, AMD's offerings for 1440p capable cards are lackluster, last gen, or the "phantom Vega" cards.

So I want a 1440p IPS monitor with 144hz and adaptive sync. 27 inch minimum. If I can find a refurbished 34" wide for similar money, I might consider this, however they are all Nvidia Gsync and I'd have to get lucky.

I prefer AMD due to price point, but if they can't meet my needs I'll begrudgingly spend the money on team green if it means I don't have to upgrade in the near future.

So my GPU/display options:

1. Just go team green (GTX1070 and monitor). (about $1100+ bucks for both). This is the best fit, but also the most expensive by several hundred bucks and money IS a factor. I don't like the idea of hardware based adaptive sync and the price premium attached. I think Freesync is a much more promising implementation because software is cheaper to upgrade.

2. AMD RX480/1060 ($220ish), and don't upgrade the monitor/GPU until Vega
- Assuming that they will be good 1440p cards, Nvidia doesn't trump them right away because they are a year behind in tech, the price isn't the same as a GTX1070 at launch, and the price isn't inflated for 6 months after release.

3. Fury Nitro + Freesync monitor ($800ish). Would achieve 1440p in most games, but isn't very future proof due to the 4gb VRAM. Probably the most relevant AMD 1440p card right now.

4. Scrap my 1440p ideas and just live in 1080p. Go the complete budget route with the build (downgrade everything), with a high refresh 1080p monitor.

Im open to suggestions. I know that if I scrap some of my other parts and downgrade to more generic stuff, I could probably scrape extra for team green stuff. I would prefer not to do that unless there are cheaper alternatives that deliver the SAME performance. Im not a brand loyalist. I like the RGB aesthetic coming out now, and I can justify the extra 20.00 a pop to upgrade for those. But an extra $200 bucks for the same tech on an Gsync vs Freesync monitor? nope. I'm not gaining anything for that. They are literally the same idea, just one is $200 bucks more.

TL;DR Is there a decent future proof 1440p option from AMD? Not "passible in some games", and not "vaporware that might show up in 6 months".

csbassplayer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
The frustration is that i used to be able to scrape by on mid-low settings. At this point i dont even have driver support and that as an option. I feel like im missing out a lot.

well you could stick with 1080p and save money

only you know what you are happy looking at

but personally i went from a 1920 x 1200 monitor--so slightly over 1080p to a 1440p monitor

and wouldnt go back things are much sharper--and its ips so much better colour than my old tn panel

and unexpectedly as wasnt thinking about this when i went for 1440p--but the ability to have 2 web pages open side by side and be able to see the full width

of both with no messing around is something i constantly use

My two cents as a budget gamer: You are spending too much on unimportant things so that you can't afford what is it obvious that you really want. You want the g sync 1440p monitor and Nvidia videocard to go with it. Meanwhile you're talking about things like 16gb system ram, and 500gb of SSD and 6700k worth of CPU. Adding more ram later if/when you know you need it is trivial. You can get by with an SSD big enough for your OS and a game or two. Do you really need more than a Skylake i5?

So I'd pick the monitor and 1070, then build the rest of the system with what's leftover in your budget.