Windows 10 search acting up

OfficeChair

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
Has anyone noticed that when your internet is "choppy", searching for apps from the start menu in Windows 10 does not work? For example, when I search for "Word 2016", I get a blank page instead of the Word 2016 app (it doesn't display "No results found for "Word"", no loading animation, just white space under "best match").

This happened to me on 3 separate occasions now and I'm curious for my own knowledge why this happens. I found an article online that if I end the Cortana process in task manager, it can potentially fix the issue. I did this but it only restored the regular search function if I immediately searched for an app after ending the process. If I delay for even 2-3 seconds after ending the process, it goes back to giving me a blank page with no results. If I completely disconnect from the internet, the search function still works fine. Anyone know why this is? Thanks!

Solution
You can try using a local account instead - cortana doesn't function on a local account unless you link her to a Microsoft account

it only takes a few minutes to set up, you can make it admin,
you can copy the contents of current user folders onto new one at c/users/username so its got same access
and then you might not get the interruptions from her and search should only search the PC, not the world as well.
just need to reset wallpapers, set up browsers and maybe log back into steam and Onedrive if you use them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can try using a local account instead - cortana doesn't function on a local account unless you link her to a Microsoft account

it only takes a few minutes to set up, you can make it admin,
you can copy the contents of current user folders onto new one at c/users/username so its got same access
and then you might not get the interruptions from her and search should only search the PC, not the world as well.
just need to reset wallpapers, set up browsers and maybe log back into steam and Onedrive if you use them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Solution