Was I ripped off?

YouKnowMeFromSchool

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Hi all. Here's the situation.

1. I asked for my GPU to be overclocked by some pc builders
2. GPU = EVGA 1070 Superclocked (1594 base, boost 1784 MHz)
3. I ran FurMark and Afterburner as I was doing the Furmark benchmark and got a gpu clock of 1683 Mhz, which is less than 1784.
4. I also expect that the clock should have been even higher than 1784 of course since I paid them to overclock it additionally, right? So it should have read something even higher than 1784. 1900 or something, depending on what they did.

5. Did I pay for an overclock and NOT get one here? It seems like im still running the standard EVGA SC without an additional overclock.

I could be totally wrong.

Thank you in advance for helping me out. :)

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I suggest using a program like evga precision to monitor clock speeds or hw info/monitor, as the clock rate will be different due to gpu boost 3.0.

If you see a clock of 1683 it probrably means that you got about a 90mhz overclock from the stock clock. This is pretty decent as thats what my evga 1070 sc overclocks to.

With a base clock like that you should see boost speeds into the 2000- 2050mhz range. Check what your memory speed is at too.

YouKnowMeFromSchool

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

Thank you. for your reply.

Shouldnt the card perform at 1784 under max load as a standard without the overclock on top of the factoryoverclock?
Or, when you buy the card, the factory overclock might not actually give you the boost clock advertized?

So when you overclock a card with a factory overclock, what do you change? Do you increase the minimum base, or increase the maximum boost, or both, or you dont change those but allow the clock to go past the factory boost clock?

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
you increase the minimum base clock, and this will increase the maximum boost clock. Gpu boost 3.0 will boost as high as possible given the base clock speed and available power voltage and temperature