Is my hard drive almost dead?

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I have a 500gb Samsung sata hard drive which I got in 2009 or 2010 which has windows 10 installed on it and if I am lucky It will load windows work for a bit then crash and when I reboot and go into bios it does not see the hard drive.

The bios sees my other hard drives fine so I tried the cable and the sata socket on the motherboard from a different hard drive and the bios will still only see the hard drive if I am lucky. And the cable that was plugged into the maybe faulty hard drive then plugged into the good drive and it is fine so all cables are fine.

So is my old hard drive almost dead?

DanDOGGO

Commendable
May 3, 2016
It really just depends on how much stress they're being put through. Using a HDD for gaming and running multiple programs off of it can potentially decrease its life span. If it's just been used for general storage I would assume it'd last a bit longer. HDD's are essentially ticking time bombs so it can be difficult to tell sometimes... I'm impressed however that it's lasted this long for you! So, yes, I believe it is time for a replacement :)

DanDOGGO

Commendable
May 3, 2016

That sounds about right. Lucky it's lasted you this long though.

However I recommend just double checking that the pins on the power connector and the SATA connector aren't damaged

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Well today it is working so have run Hard Disk Sentinel and Crystal Disk Info and they report 71 bad sectors and Hard Disk Sentinel reports estimated remaining lifespan 41 days.