Win 10 & Gigabyte Z170-HD3 mobo reboot problem, CORRECTION SOLUTION FOUND GO TO SECOND POST!

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I have received help from this site many times in the past, and now I'm hoping this post will help repay someone else that has helped me that is having the reboot issue with Gigabyte mobo's.

I was having this reboot problem like many others on one of my 3 upgrade mother boards. All three are identical upgrades with the following changes:
Gigabyte z170-hd3 mobo
I5-6500 cpu in two, and I5-6600K in one
thermalake 750W tough power Gold power supplies
Gskill ddr4 2133 16gb x 2 in each system
Western digital 7200 rpm 750 GB drive

About 3 weeks ago I upgraded the drives to SSD's Samsung pro 256gb each. All three systems were cloned onto the SSD using Samsung data migration cloning software. Two of the systems worked perfectly.

One system would start up and run for a few minutes then reboot itself without warning. Then it starting rebooting itself about ever minute when using the SSD. Keep in mind it worked perfectly when using the Western Digital mechanical drive. I re-installed the mechanical drive and again it worked perfectly. Re-installed the SSD and again rebooting without warning. I tested everything I could think of... ram, power supply output, connections, software trouble shooting and all test returned no faults or problems.

I installed this SSD in my old dell XPS410 with a 2.66 processor and it worked perfectly; and it increased the process performance speed from 2.2 ghz to the full 2.66 ghz speed according to the Task Manager Performance test. My old Dell was faster than a speeding bullet.

I reinstalled the SSD into the problem system and booted it up using F12 to look at the bios; which is dated February 2016... in other words up to date bios, and other features. I looked for anything that might be a cause of the unwanted rebooting, and then I noticed an entry on the Bios Features, this feature may be specific to gigabyte mobo's I don't know, and noticed the "Windows 8/10" selection had "Other OS" selected. I checked out the possible selections available; which were "Windows 8/10" or "Windows 8/10 WHQL".

I first tested the "Windows 8/10" selection and the rebooting decreased to one time per hour. I then tested the " Windows 8/10 WHQL" which is the option that includes the updated intel driver according to my minimal research. This post is being processed on, what was the problem system, and has now been running for more than three hours without a single reboot.

I was grasping at straws trying to find a solution until I found this. I hope this helps someone else resolve this same problem.

Many thanks to all those that have assisted us all. Ken

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I thought the above post was the answer to this Gigabyte mobo reboot problem, it was "NOT"! BUT... alas perseverance did prevail with help from this site and Gigabyte Esupport, they recommended a clean install of 10; which did not help, but it got me thinking again.

Anyway, long story short, after eliminating everything except the power supply, which was a six month old Thermaltake 750W gold, I installed a new spare I had in the corner and everything is now peaceful in the computer room.

Thanks to all those that kept saying try a different power supply.

So if your new build or other systems are starting to constantly reboot every minute or so... " try a different PS first and save yourself some time."

I'm waiting on a return authorization now!

Great day to everyone, Ken.

TRENDING THREADS