Windows 10 - Disabled Intel HD Graphics

Ryan_254

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Got an Alienware R5 with Windows 10 and a SE2417HG monitor as well. The computer only had a Displayport and the monitor only had VGA and HDMI. My local bestbuy only had HDMI to DP adapters so I bought one and hooked up the monitor to the PC that way. Everything was working fine at first but the computer was using HD graphics instead of the 1080 my computer came with. After fiddling around with drivers and such, I saw that the computer recognized the 1080 but wasn't using it. NVIDIA control panel wouldn't open and gave me an error message. After uninstalling and re-installing the GeForce drivers again, clicking on the control panel wouldn't give me an error message, but also wouldn't open. After looking online some I learned that disabling Intel HD graphics would cause my computer to switch to using the 1080 but that wasn't the case. Now when I boot up my computer, the monitor displays nothing, no cursor, no flicker, just a black screen. The computer seems to work fine and I haven't tested it with another monitor but I want to fix it now and be able to use the monitor I have. Any ideas?

Specs:

i7 6700k

GeForce 1080

Windows 10

16GB HyperX® FURY DDR4

256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)