Microsoft strong arming

• Thread starter Deleted member 1560910
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1560910

Why is microsoft making new hardware only to be compatible with windows 10 ? I am a windows 8.1 user and i can say i dont have any issue. I mostly play games and everything runs great. Now if i wanted to upgrade to a kaby lake or a Zen I have to upgrade to windows 10. I dont understand how this is going to work considering people have installed windows 8.1 with kaby lake and had success. It looks like this will happen with a microsoft windwos update. Am i being too stuburn here? I have no interest in doing direct 12 gaming at this time so i could careless but i would like to upgrade my hardware that being my cpu to a ddr4 system.

Solution
When new processors and chip sets come out they will need drivers to work in a Windows machine. In most cases Microsoft does not develop the drivers. The hardware manufacturers are responsible for driver development for their products.

From time to time Microsoft does develop new driver "frameworks". That's the software interface that driver developers use to communicate with Windows. Microsoft changed the framework when Windows went from XP to Vista. That's why Vista was such a flop. There weren't any drivers for the existing hardware that would work under Vista. Windows 7, 8, and the initial version of 10 use that same framework. But with Windows 10's forced updates no one has any choice about when to change to any new driver...
D

Deleted member 1560910

Ridiculas

D

Deleted member 1560910

Its not the point. The point is why should i have to pay for windows 10 if i want to upgrade my hardware ?

D

Deleted member 1560910

Do you work for microsoft ?

When new processors and chip sets come out they will need drivers to work in a Windows machine. In most cases Microsoft does not develop the drivers. The hardware manufacturers are responsible for driver development for their products.

From time to time Microsoft does develop new driver "frameworks". That's the software interface that driver developers use to communicate with Windows. Microsoft changed the framework when Windows went from XP to Vista. That's why Vista was such a flop. There weren't any drivers for the existing hardware that would work under Vista. Windows 7, 8, and the initial version of 10 use that same framework. But with Windows 10's forced updates no one has any choice about when to change to any new driver framework they may develop and shove out to existing machines.

Now if you're a hardware developer and windows comes out with a new framework, you're going to buried bring up drivers for your existing hardware for the new framework and there's two reasons not to update the previous framework's drivers: first your driver developers are already busy developing the new ones and that's critical for continued sales of your existing hardware but if a piece of hardware has been discontinued there's no one available to change those older drivers to the new framework and absolutely no reason to since it's a discontinued product. The second is purely financial. Would they rather expend company resources on updating old products with drivers that the customer will expect for free or force you into buying new hardware from them?

In one respect it is Microsoft's fault for changing the framework. But they have no way to force the hardware companies to provide backward compatible drivers.

You don't have buy Windows. There's Apple and Linux.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The initial premise here is wrong:
Why is microsoft making new hardware only to be compatible with windows 10 ?

Unless you're talking about mice, keyboards, or Surface tablets, MS doesn't make a whole lot of hardware.

Why is new hardware from other manufacturers built to take advantage of new features in Win 10, and why is Win 10 made to take advantage of new features in new hardware?

For the same reason that Win XP does not know how to to handle an SSD drive. It runs, but lacking in various SSD specific features.

How much time and money do you want them to expend backporting that stuff into older OS's?

In regards to Win 8.1 and Kaby...it works, but maybe not with the full feature set.