Win 10 BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - nvlddmkm_sys

Downsy_TV

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hey everyone. I've been struggling with BSODs for a few months now and just can't seem to fix it, so I'm giving in and making a post in hopes that you can help me out.

When my PC does BSOD, it almost never creates a dump file, but yesterday it did create one finally but under a different error than the usual "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 1/8/2017 5:26:05 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF8)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF807C08CC000)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

With that error, in the BSOD, was "nvlddmkm_sys", which I believed to be a Nvidia driver. I reinstalled my graphics drivers and updated them to the most recent versions, but I'm still getting BSODs, or the PC will freeze / restart without warning.

PC Specs

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Eight-Core)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (4 sticks)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0

Solution

No. Its just overclocked CPUs (and other components) are a common source of that particular BSOD error.

However, i'd check your voltages anyway in the bios, make sure the cpu, ram and gfx card has the correct voltage. Maybe even set that stuff manually your self. Usually that error is hardware related, but it could be a driver.

Nvlddmkm.sys is nvidia, so go for a clean driver install. After that i'd suspect a hardware issue.

Downsy_TV

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I know I shouldn't double-post, but if it helps, it almost always happens shortly after running a resource intensive game. H1Z1, for example. But while browsing the web or on Facebook it never happens. Also as far as I've been able to tell, all of my drivers are up to date.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

No. Its just overclocked CPUs (and other components) are a common source of that particular BSOD error.

However, i'd check your voltages anyway in the bios, make sure the cpu, ram and gfx card has the correct voltage. Maybe even set that stuff manually your self. Usually that error is hardware related, but it could be a driver.

Nvlddmkm.sys is nvidia, so go for a clean driver install. After that i'd suspect a hardware issue.

Solution

Downsy_TV

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
So I just got a BSOD that was blank except for the frowny-face and the number 0. Again, no dump file. I also notice a part in my PC is much louder than normal. It sounds like it could be coming from the PSU. Could it be going bad, and if so, what's a cheap replacement that would have enough power for my current setup? Or maybe even a cheap alternative that could run a GTX 980 as well, because I've been looking to upgrade. Thanks guys! :)