There is no option for extended display with dual monitor using DP and HDMI

dcox007

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
My PC has a DP port and an HDMI port. I am using both to hook up dual monitors. When I have the computer off and both monitors plugged in, both displays work when I turn the computer on but they are mirrored. When I went to my settings to make it an extended display, there was no option to do so and it reads both monitors as one display, as if I plugged both monitors into a splitter. My driver is up to date, but I was wondering if it was an issue with the hardware.

dcox007

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

(Kind of new to windows) What I found is that I'm using a standard VGA graphics adaptor
The closest I can get to identifying the driver is a vgapnp.sys
Windows 7

rgd1101

Don't

If you are using standard vga graphics adapter, then your driver is not up to date.
What is your full system spec?

dcox007

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

It's an XPS 8900
6th Gen Intel Core i7-6700 processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3
DW1801 SW Driver
Retail software is Windows 7 but it came with a DVD to upgrade to Windows 10

That's really the best I can come up with

I will mention that, during one attempt, I plugged only one monitor into the graphics card and it read the monitor and said the second port was available(which had not happened). I tried plugging the second monitor in and it was not read by the computer. I tried only one monitor again but it did not do the same thing.

dcox007

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

You are right, I needed to update my driver. My graphics card has VGA and HDMI so I'm just going to stick with that. The main issue I wasn't understanding was that I could only use the NVIDIA graphics card or the output ports already built into the PC, not both. So I downloaded the newest driver(ended up moving to Win 10 so I got the appropriate driver) and I'm just working off of the graphics card. Thanks for the help!